Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Does anyone know-

When A filem says

"based on actual events..actual history, actual data-

What is the accuracy?

I was watching the preview for American Haunting- and it says, based on actual facts.

They said the same thing about Amityville-
I know it SELLS more if people buy the story too-

But how big a percentage does a movie have to be, for them to be allowed to say that.

Just curious.
  05-26-2006, 07:19 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
There is no ACTUAL percentage. It can be something as simple as a name or a location to say that something is based on "actual events" or whatever.
  05-26-2006, 03:14 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
well for American haunting, I'll give you the accuracy rating: 0%

A ghost supposedly kills a girl (real story, this she was just haunted), thats about it. The rest is completey made up and/or twisted from the actual event.

If you want the real story, look up "the curse of the bell witch"
  05-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Thanks for the input---

I recalled awhile ago, something (testing my memory here)
about songs, and things having to be at least 40 percent different, to avoid copyright infringmenet.
So it had me wondering-
if you claim something is 'true'
do you have to back it up.

Just one of those things that I ponder-
With movies like the Entity, Amityville, Exorcism of Emily Rose, American Haunting...

The reason I was so curious about AH- they claimed it was from the ONLY documented case a spirit or "demon" / ghost ever caused a death.

I am off to look the Curse of the Bell Witch up Robot, Thanks!

_now where is my flashlite.....
  05-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Usually when something is "based on actual facts" it refers mostly to people, places and things. What aspect is true may be changed for shielding. After that, expect a ton of fiction to weigh it down. For example, THE DA VINCI CODE is based on facts (names, places), but the actual novel itself is clearly fictional use of the facts. I don't understand why people have such a hard time just accepting how easy it is. It's factual, but not 100%. Never is.