Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

09-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Oh sure you may think I am babbling- but these are just two of the new PC tech terms I have learned lately

tarball
While a tarball may sound like a road paving job gone bad, a tarball is an archive of files created with the Unix tar utility. While tarballs have been around since the mid 1980's, the actual term tarball did not become commonplace until the late '90s. I wonder if that has anything to do with UNIX admins not wanting to have to say that term out loud in the office?

typosquatting
While visions of past editors and people scouring Web sites just waiting for the chance to e-mail a Webmaster a "typo" note comes to mind, the definition of typosquatting is somewhat expected. Typosquatting alludes to individuals or companies who purchased a domain name that is a variation on a popular domain name with the expectation that the site will get traffic off of the original site because of a user's misspelling of the name. For example, registering the domain names webapedia.com or yahooo.com in the hopes that someone making a typo will get to that site unexpectedly. The fact that I get to write typos that won't get edited out has nothing to do with it ... honest!

If you think that is odd- there is also a SMURF

smurf
Any child will tell you they are cute, blue and only three apples high, but a system administrator might cower at the mere mention of the word since a smurf is actually a very nasty thing! Of course, we are referring to a smurf as being a type of denial of service attack in which a network connected to the Internet is swamped with replies to ICMP echo (PING) requests.

Curious about these and more? check out the site below
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...tech_terms.asp

Webopedia.....

09-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Try a Googlebomb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb
  09-05-2006, 03:31 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005