Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-15-2006, 02:35 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
Ok recently I had a discussion with someone who was for more strict gun laws,I on the other hand think everyone should own a couple for their own safety, or hunting.So I decided to find some statistics to counter their claims that guns were incredibly dangerous and tons of people were murdered or accidentally killed by them all the time.

Doctors:
(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000
(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000
© Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%. Statistics courtesy of the U.S.Dept of Health &Human Services

Gun Owners:
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80 million)
(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500
© The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%. Statistics courtesy of the FBI

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, guns don't kill people, doctors do.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

You are also statistically more likely to die via car wreck, cancer, drowning, and many other things.So to each his own really on it, but just remember some of those numbers next time someone is idiotically trying to convince you we need to ban all/most guns.Especially the morons who think we should only be allowed to own hunting rifles and nothing more.More people use guns in self-defense actions each year than crime, according to the FBI's own figures as well.

And here is another little myth that agitates me highly.Global Warming.Yep the biggie, and hot little buzz topic these days.According to many pundits, and the great Al Gore among many,many others, our vehicles are producing so many greenhouse gases that we are causing massive global warming and harming the ozone layer immensely.However what they fail to mention is that according to major university and scientific studies there is more greenhouse gas emissions from cow flatulence than from all the vehicles in the world.Also one single explosion from a major volcano,such as Mt.Saint Helens, emits more than all the vehicles that have been on the road the last one hundred years.Not to mention the fact that NASA among many other independent studies are saying that there is massive evidence of warming on the other planets in our solar system on par with the warming here on Earth.The ice caps on Mars are melting/receding for one.Now surely none of us think they have SUV's on mars now do we?So that puts a big dent in the theory put forth that it's vehicle emission causing the warming.The Sun is also, according to NASA,heating up immensely, and is going to continue for the next decade gradually warming up even hotter.Yet even if someone still believes that your Tahoe, or Yukon is to blame for the increase in temperature, the solution being put forth by our "leaders," is a global tax.Now what a ridiculous, empty, pointless way to attack the problem.This will in no way change anything related to global warming.It's simply an excuse to place yet another unneeded tax on the people of this planet.We cannot allow them to brain-wash all the good people out there, who don't have the time to actually research anything for themselves, into believing this garbage.Even if they believe vehicle emission is the problem, a global tax will solve absolutely nothing.Hopefully if enough people investigate this issue before they try to pass this global tax, they will be forced to instead admit the truth, or at the least start real work towards progress of alternative energy sources, and alternative fueled/energy vehicles.

Anywho thought I'd share this with the couple of you who'd care to check it out and voice your opinion.Anyone doubts anything I put above please at the very least google it, and research it before dismissing it.It's easily vetted.
  11-16-2006, 12:17 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 343 posts since Oct 2005
Send a message via AIM to Skuff Send a message via Yahoo to Skuff
This is why I'll own guns and be around guns rather than going to the doc. I love guns, but hate doctors....especially these days, seeing how they sort of "let themselves go". You go in because your sick, throwing up etc...doctor walks in, "Oh, you'll be fine, best thing to do here is wait it out for about 2 days and you'll be better than ever!" Doctor walked in, said that, left. True story from a year ago I believe.
1 day later, that person was dead.

As for global warming, I've always thought it was a bunch of (insert cheesy insult here). This only helps confirm that...and I'm reading about it right now....
  11-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I have never had an issue with people owning guns, I dont understand it but if thats what you want to do then so be it.

What I do have a severe problem with is UNTRAINED people owning guns, just because you have a gun license does not mean you are responsible or respectful enough to own a gun!

I know too many people over my life who had no clue how to use or when to use a gun and should in no way even have been allowed to get one but they did and usually ended up in a bad situation (kids finding the gun, the gun going off, etc).

Its those assanine and irresponsible stupid members of the human race that make gun control an issue for me.
  11-16-2006, 12:44 AM

Verified Member

I agree mark, but it's just like the assault on freedom of speech.It's a god-given right to be able to defend yourself and your family.We should be able to speak as we wish without fear of imprisonment.They are pushing foward several new gun laws and "hate" crime laws that will effectively kill freedom of speech.I don't think just anyone should own a gun, but absolutely no one should say we can't own guns simply because they don't like guns.I think they are essential for safety.In all the countries where they banned guns/severely restricted guns, violent crime rose hundreds of percentage points.Simply because all the criminals now know people aren't armed to protect themselves.There are many ignorant hillbillies and yuppies with guns that don't understand the safety precautions, nor how to use them.But if we don't protect our right to bear arms, we will lose it soon.I just wanted to share that so people could grasp the fact that too many people blame guns for all these deaths when comparatively it's simply not true.There are tons of other things that kill people more frequently than firearms.It's not a good idea for just anyone to drive a car, or fly a plane, etc, but if you are educated and experienced, there is nothing wrong at all.You wouldn't keep an axe laying in your living room or anywhere accessible to children, same with guns.It's mainly propaganda against guns more than anything, it's simply not true the majority of bad publicity they get.A free society is a society with the right to defend itself, history has shown that time and time again.
  11-18-2006, 08:49 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 184 posts since Jun 2005
Let's not ignore the remaining statistics, just for fairness sake. How many purposeful deaths are caused by physicians, and how many purposeful deaths are caused by guns?
  11-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Verified Member

Oh of course that's true, doctors don't intentionally kill,where as a lot of gun deaths are homicide.The point I was trying to make was that statistically speaking your chances of dying are much higher with many,many other things than with guns.The abject fear people have of guns in general is needless.
  11-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I have no idea what to think of global warming. I doubt it's fully man-made, and I also doubt it's just coincidence. I guess the prevailing thought is to reduce man-made harm, and to see if that helps. If nothing more, we'll have less pollution, so it's really a win-win situation.

11-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Well guys, over the last two months I've had my fill of doctors and dentists and wish I was in malpractice litigation. Its taken us three months to find out that my wife has Rhumentoid Arthritis. The a--holes had us thinking it was lupus (which is terminal). Never mind that the dentists seem to be escaping a lot of scrutiny that doctors are now starting to get. Dentists seem to think that you should be spending a small fortune with them every year. I also think that dentistry should fall under health insurance coverage. Did you know that you teeth can KILL YOU!! Never mind the drug companies.

It makes me want to get my gun for real!!!!

Ps-LS- did you know that during the American Revolution that we were in a mini-ice age. If you ever look at any pictures of Washington crossing the Potomac, they have small icebergs floating about. There are some theories that by raising the CO2 levels that we have actually avoided an ice age. Of course I'm with on stopping the pollution.

PSPS- Neuro, if you're dead by either intentional(guns) or unintentional (doctors) means your still dead.
  11-19-2006, 10:02 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
This is whay I always set my Phaser to "stun". Unless I'm up against the borg, then it is set to "kill" and I modulate the frequencies.....
  11-19-2006, 11:32 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 184 posts since Jun 2005
I like your logic Marcus, I do. Now whether your comment is relevant.... eh.... uh..... Have a happy Turkey Day my friend! And stay away from guns and doctors, and apparently dentists too!
  11-19-2006, 10:55 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Very sound advise Neuro! They cost too much anyway!
  11-20-2006, 08:32 AM

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Sorry, just venting! My point is doctors ( dentists) kill you slowly. Which when you thing about it isn't very humane. At least I can shoot back at someone shooting at me.

Regarding my wife's recent diagnosis; I'm thankful for the internet and the information that is readily available. Think about it, 10 years ago you were at the behest of doctors and would have to spend days at the local library researching somewhat dated information.

Here something to make you think! Drug company have actuaries and biological statisticians to figure out how many people will be disabled or die everytime they release a drug. Is that intentional or unintentional? Actually, they call it the cost of progress (business).
  11-21-2006, 07:26 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 89 posts since Jun 2005
In Canada, we do not have the constitutional right to bear arms. Owning a gun is apparently a privilege here and not a right. Anything aside from rifles, I believe, is heavily regulated.

I'm not sure about the numbers up here but it does seem like there is not a lot of gun violence. In the province where I live, it seems like most violent crime is stabbings and beatings. Usually when people are killed by guns here, the gun involved is a rifle - often wielded by someone who is drunk, high, or careless. This is not to say that crime doesn't happen in Canada with hand guns and automatic weapons and stuff. It just seems to be in the large, urban centres for the most part.

I was wondering. What do you think of the constitutional right of Americans to bear arms. Is it necessary? Or was it a mistake?

P.S. I totally agree about doctors.
  11-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The right to bear arms was necessary in the 1700s and 1800s. I don't really know what to say beyond that one. It's not easy to answer.
  11-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Verified Member

I think it's still a necessity for a lot of people depending on where you live.I never want to lose that right and god help us all if we ever do.Our freedoms and liberties will dissolve faster than Kevin Federline's career.The opinions will always vary, but it's a right to bear arms and should always be just that, not a privilege.Violent crime will escalate simply due to criminals knowing people have no way to defend themselves or their property.Easy Pickings as they'd say down here lol.
  12-05-2006, 03:16 AM

Stats: 239 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to Turtle_Titan
These statistics also support the right to "self medicate", something we haven't had for decades! Far more of an issue than gun control, IMO.