Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

12-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
OK for those of you who are new and only hear a passing reference to "Frenchy", "General James", or "Kalmec" you are in for a surprising read.

James "General Kalmec" McClintock was a very important figure in the history of CPS, he claimed to be a very active trader and also admin'd and ran at one time versions of CPS (before LS and Phillip finally liberated us from N54.com)

What most people did not know, mainly because they never got the chance was that he was a 100% bonafied liar. He rarely actually completed a trade and then when he did the traders were often scared to say anything because he was the site owner/admin, thus they feared bans. When you were lucky enough to receive something from him (and it was good) it was either a laserdisc transfer, a copy of a retail tape, or someone elses work (Noozles, Little Prince, Defenders of the Earth all came from me). However what most people do not know is his incredible personal video collection that he speaks so highly about is anything but.

For those who never understood quite why we rip on him, here is a lesson in Crap Video 101

When I started actively trading in 2003 (private long before but never had the time, resources, or real desire to trade till DVD became a standard) I met James. We would often converse and I thought everything was on the up and up....till I saw his DIC GI Joe set

Now let me remind you of his criteria

http://members.aol.com/generalkalmec/RareCartoons.html

"Most of my collection has been Digitally Remastered in both Audio and Video with the highest quality of Studio-Grade equipment."

With that said feast your eyes on this atrocity, I apologize in advance for any headaches this may cause (the screenshots are less atrocious then the video)
__________________________________________________ ________________
DIC GI Joe Episode 9 "Victory at Volcania Part I"

And just so you think I may have just spiffed the screenshots to prove a point here is the RAW video of that clip

RAW Video:
http://www.tvpast.org/images/dicjoe/...ideo/CRAP1.AVI
DIC GI Joe Episode 15 "General Confusion"

RAW Video:
http://www.tvpast.org/images/dicjoe/...ideo/CRAP2.AVI

Now to show you that with patience quality is obtainable here is the same clips and shot from the Markatisu DIC GI Joe 8 DVD Set. I say patience because it took me 1 year to gather the source and another year to complete the project, some traders here think a set should be done in weeks.

An interesting note is that my set was created with the 1st gen original masters, James atrocious video is a multigen SLP copy.

How do I know you ask? Well for starters they both came from WPIX Channel 11 in NY, they both have the same commercials, and he flat out told me it was a multigen of Allen Lane's master VHS set (the one I had in my posession since 2005).
DIC GI Joe Episode 9 "Victory at Volcania Part I"

RAW Video:
http://www.tvpast.org/images/dicjoe/...o/QUALITY1.AVI
DIC GI Joe Episode 15 "General Confusion"

RAW Video:
http://www.tvpast.org/images/dicjoe/...o/QUALITY2.AVI
Now I can honestly say this was "Remastered", using the following:

-BVP-4
-Detailer IV
-AVT 8710 Time Base Corrector
-DVHS JVC 40000u
-SVHS 3xxx
-JVC DVD Recorder on SP Mode
-Matrox RtMac System with Apple G4 400mhz 1gb RAM

I guess the point of the story is that trust is a great part of what we do, there are members here who do quite well with just a good VCR a
  12-08-2006, 12:07 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
So the word French doesn't get blanked out anymore eh? LMAO Don't forget that he was an aspiring artist and was over in France making his "own" cartoons Mark. Hell, I've seen his drawings, and well, I've compared them to my 9 year old's drawings, guess who wins? And he was drawing some kind of person that didn't look like real people, my son is drawing anime and it looks just like those who create it. I'll upload some scans of my sons work (DBZ & Disney) here in a few days and let you see what I mean. I wish I still had the pics of his work to show the difference. Does anyone still have them?
  12-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Verified Member

I think LS might have the one pic he was doing for his "Animated Series", CP might have it as well
  12-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
CPS Ghost of Christmas Past

MArk , LS and Phil The Three Wise Men of the Village

All Hail The SuperMods for delivering us from evil

My sides hurt
  12-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Verified Member

The videos are now online, you might want to take some Advil before watching
  12-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Gramma of CPS

I deleted the picture after viewing lol

Danielle 's first story was better doodling than his :P

I'll post the bunny went to the can lmao!
  12-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Geez, I love the text on his site. It's very self-flattering, but vague enough that you can't check it out.

Quote:
quote:
If you have come this far, you are probably in search of some rare, obscure cartoon series from the past. I have been collecting cartoon series on a regular basis since 1984. I have more than 12,000 tapes in my personal collection. My collection consists of Studio Broadcast Masters, my original SP VHS recordings, and that of a close friend's collection that I inherited when he moved away some years ago. Most of my collection has been Digitally Remastered in both Audio and Video with the highest quality of Studio-Grade equipment.

A little about my trading history:
I have been trading videos and collectibles on-line since 1995. I traded off-line since 1989. I have traded on a good many of the on-line trading groups, the yahoo clubs, and many of the long gone forums of yesteryear. I used to co-moderate the "Old Cartoons" group from 1995-97. I have created and moderated my share of other English video-trading groups as well. I currently dedicate most of my time towards collecting French animated series and I share moderator status on several Cartoon and Documentary clubs in France and Germany. I have met many close friends through trading over the years, some of which I talk and even work with on a daily basis.

My Current Hobbies and Work:
I am a professional animator by trade. I have always loved cartoons, particularly those elder ones with good story lines like Belle and Sebastian. I started creating my own animated series in 1998 (you might see some of my work on TV). I enjoy Historical-oriented series and I have been in the market of producing such animated presentations from the Conquestadors of the 16th Century, to a new series on the early history of America, to World War II. I am also a painter and sculpter in my free time.
Just reading it, you can see it doesn't add up. He terribly misspells Conquistadors in the name of the project "he's working on." It also seems convenient that all the boards he mods or co-mods are French or German, so they can't be checked. Man, it was so bad when he was around and it's been so nice since he's been gone.

Thanks for the fun example Mark.
  12-11-2006, 01:12 AM

Verified Member

French....French....ha ha ha, I can say it with a straight face LMAO!!!!
  12-12-2006, 01:50 AM
Gramma of CPS

Here they are

Danielle's first drawing at age 5
( Hers is better even at this age )
[

Recent anime sketch . ( Age 13)
That's not traced. It's free hand
im assuming this is suppose to be danielle & inuyasha .... Kids

And one more

If LS can dig up Jame's work. . We'll compare the real artist of the two

12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I might still have some of James craptastic work on one of my computers.
  12-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Gramma of CPS

Here's the extent of jame's artistic talent at age 20

I kid you not. This is his work

12-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Verified Member

Oh my god CP! I remember that picture....now if only we could find the pic from his animated movie lol
  12-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
This is the link you want:
http://hometown.aol.com/sfhawke77/MCoGmainpage.html

His fruity bonuses were always funny too: "The First 20 customers will recieve their copy in a GOLD TINTED CD CASE."

Ooo aah .... it's like real gold .... a piece of crappy yellow plastic.

12-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Verified Member

Oh yes it was under his old name sfhawke77
  12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
lol yahoo.fr let me guess he signed up on yahoo france. just to get the ft.

limited production.
50$ for 2 cds thats a rip off

is it 50$ for pictures he drew on a cd?

12-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Gramma of CPS

lol @ LS

Danielle is a better artist lol When she reaches his age . She'll be an illustrator for Funimation :P
  12-13-2006, 02:53 PM

Verified Member

Oh, Man, that was a hoot to read.

Note: This production is merely a suppliment to what I would deem the greatest animated series ever produced, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, in no respect is intended to conflict with any of the official products available.

LMAO!