Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
What the fudge....just read this from Gadgets Inc.

"

Some people just have to prove a point. And in the case of Apple's iPod, that point is: you're not as secure as you think you are. Kaspersky Lab reckons it's found the first iPod virus and since this is 5 April not April Fool's Day, we'll take their word for it.

Before you throw your shiny portable media player to the ground and stamp its life out, there are a few things you should know.

First up, the Podloso virus, as it has been named, has only been created to prove a point and doesn't pose a real threat.

Second, in order for the virus to function, Linux has to be installed on the iPod and a file has to be launched and run on it.

The virus then installs itself to the folder which contains program demo versions. Once launched, it scans the device's hard disk and infects all executable .elf format files.

Even when these files are launched, all that happens is that you get a message on the iPod's screen which says "You are infected with Oslo the first iPodLinux Virus".

"Podloso is a typical proof of concept virus and such viruses are created in order to demonstrate that it is possible to infect a specific platform," a statement from Kaspersky Lab said.

"Podloso has no malicious payload, and does not present a real threat."
  04-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Yikes!!
  04-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 571 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to GreenRanger1
Didnt the ipod have a virus on it that affected pc computers at one point? I thought I read that somewhere.