Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

07-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I have an odd situation, and I have racked my brain, so maybe someone has been in a similar situation.
But chances are, I screwed myself

About 4 months ago I listed my old car for sale-
Listed it for 4000.00
and had several people interested.

Well, in May, this lady came and looked at it- told me a sob story about how she needed a second vehicle- her husband/son and her- were in a house fire- they lose their house, and they were staying with relatives, and she needed the car- to get a part time job.
She had 2000.00 cash, which I told her was great- but I couldn't let it go that cheap.

So she was upset, left- and 2 days later, asked if it was still for sale- she had borrowed from her son/daughter in law- another 1000.00

Now the blue book on my car was 5500.00 and it was very well kept, so taking it down to 4000.00 was a non negotiable price- but she was so desperate, so I said I'll tell you what-
I'll take the 3000.00
and then, ill take 50.00 a month for one year. so i lowered it even more, another 400 in the end result- but I felt it was a good deed.
I had printed and enlarged the blue book price and had it in the window-
and she was gleeful.
So I took the 3000.00
and she went WITH me to the currency exchange to sign over the title- and I typed up 2 copies of a statement basically giving the inof on the car-
that i took the 3000.00 down- and she was to pay on or before the 1st of each month, 50.00 and payments would start july 1st.

she had a drivers license that was from beloit wisconsin, not indina where i live-
but she signed it- i signed it- and had it notorized.

Okay, flash forward 3 weeks.
No payment today is the fifth
the second - i called the number she called from the day to get the car.
Its disconnected.
Then I tried the number of the relative she was staying at.
Disconnected.

now I have this "legal" document-
but she has the title- and i have no way to reach her.

I did an online search through people finders - she is still listed at beloit wisconsin.
She has her son/daughters name as relatives but the daughters number- says being checked for trouble
the sons number, you guessed it- disconnected.

So i have no address-
other than what seems to be years ago.
No way of reaching her.
And on the agreement i typed up it says should she fail to make payment the full amount will be due, and or any legal costs to pursue payment is her responsiblity - so that was stated clear out- so its my opinion that she isn't intending to pay-
as she hasn't updated me to info, contacted me- and knew I would request payment in full.

I don't know if this is a lawyer issue or a police issue
and the fact is I already got the 3000.00 so I am only out 600.00 not 3600.00
but 600 is a lot to me and my budget and quite honestly I am miffed if this was her intention from day one.

So- after rambling any of that out- if anyone has any ideas- this group has always had great ideas in problem solving, I am hoping for help or previous experience- although I am pretty upset.

I do have her name (supposedly middle name)
2 previous numbers
1 previous address
her daughters address supposedly, and her number (being checked for trouble)
the title was signed over to her already - so I am wondering - since you have to by LAW update your info through secretary of state if i contacted them, if that would help

I dunno...i'm annoyed I trusted her as well.
  07-05-2007, 05:18 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, i ran this by my wife who is a civil clerk for the our county justice court system. keeping in mind that we are in mississippi and laws very from state to state, here is my wife's opinion:

it sounds to me that she sold her car for 3000.00
without knowing the buyers full name or current address ,
i don't think it is much she can do.
it is definately a civil matter not a criminal , so going to
the police will not do any good.
her best bet is to sue the buyer, but she must know the buyers
current address as well as a name.
SHE GOT STUCK!!!!(this lady has most likely done this before, especially with the heartbreaking story she gave)

hate to be the bearer of somewhat bad news, but i thought i would get you an honest court related answer. i felt that would be the reply. it will be a hassle, but you could sue and try to get your money. lesson learned for us all, seller beware as well as buyer. thanks
  07-05-2007, 05:30 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
You were scammed. The lady probably resold it for $3500 and got a good profit.

You might be within your rights to have the vehicle reported as stolen and repossessed. A lawyer would eat your $600 and maybe cost more.

Blue book doesn't mean much, to be quite honest. $3000 is about what you'd have gotten for a trade-in value.

07-05-2007, 08:09 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
You might be able to go to a private detective for a couple of Hundred dollars and have them do a skip trace search. They are usually good a finding cars and repossesing them for the banks and credit unions, etc. You do have a drivers license, they might be able to get a social security number, etc to track her down.

Wrong again, Lord Smurf-For-Brains! You can not report it stolen;that would make this a criminal case!
Frankly savage could wind up being sued herself if they were to apprehend this lady. It is purely civil! Now if she gave you a bad check or cashiers check that could make it criminal!

Also, I hope you really did get the title switched over to her name. Otherwise if she was to get in an accident and you are still the registered owner?????????

Savage, blue book is just an estimate. I bet you had it at high retail, which when you sell privately it should be low or wholesale. The reason being is that the car wasn't reconditioned and there is no warranty or lemon law protection that you can provide. It is "as is." I really don't think you got hurt as bad as you think you do. For example, let's say she was still making payments and the transmission blew up, she might be able to come after you. She shouldn't, but given the fact that you fell for her sob story she might be able to get a judge to see her way too! Now that she missed her payment arrangement she really can't complain.

Poor Savage, you need to be a little more careful. First your neighbor, now this! I do like the fact that you really wanted to help your fellow man or women. Once we give up on each other, it is all over! Love ya, kiddo!
  07-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
it is not going to be worth your time to pursue this.

In the event that you take her to civil court and win, all that means is that the court has told her she has to pay you...it doesn't say when...she could set up payment for as little as 5 a month and really drag this out...or eventually stop paying in which case you gotta go through all this again....like I said, it won't be worth your time.

BUT...if you do take it to civil court...PLEASE....PLEASE...see what you can do to get on Judge Judy....I would love to see someone I know get on there...as cheesy as the show is Judy is a tough old nut and she tells it like it is....I love it when people try to pull scams and get pwned by the judge.
  07-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I appreciate all the feedback...
I figured a private lawyer, or detective wouldn't be cost effective-

The info I have, is a scan of her drivers license, which has her name/social/but the address is from Beloit Wisconsin, so I do "know" the buyer, but the address is from 4 years ago, or at least that is when it was issued.
Since she was up here, to do the buy- I am guessing she moved here, never updated her info.

Well, if I had to get stuck it was only for 600 compared to the entire price, and I suppose, your all right about blue book being a estimate - and I might have gotten more than someone else would have paid...

I guess better to be taken for trusting too much, than someone get the raw deal for not being trusted at all.
the money I got still was all I needed to get a new vehicle, that gave me a reasonable monthly payment so the 600 isn't worth too much effort.Although i would LOVE to go on judge judy, so this might be my only chance!

Always worth running things through the group here with such a versatile and vast group- you guys usually put things in their right balance bad or good news -

thanks again for all the feedback..basically, i'm a little too gullible, but being naive isn't always a bad thing..
now how does one contact judge judy anyhow....
  07-06-2007, 10:37 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
http://www.judgejudy.com/SubmitCase/submitcase.asp