Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-20-2007, 12:52 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 89 posts since Jun 2005

I found this kind of interesting. Though I knew that Canada has been a haven in the past for American soldiers fleeing the prospect of serving in places like Vietnam, I never even realized that American soldiers were fleeing to Canada to avoid going to war in Iraq.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...-decision.html

It's a shame that the Supreme Court didn't give any reasons for its decision. I'm kind of curious as to whether their decision turned on the fact that the American army is currently a volunteer army rather than a conscripted army.

It will also be interesting to see what happens if the Canadian public starts putting pressure on the government to let them stay. It would certainly put the government in a pickle. Give the public what it wants and tick off your closest trading partner and ally. Or send them packing and make the extremely anti-war oriented voters kick you out of office. I smell a possible election issue.