Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

12-19-2007, 02:20 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
How many have these. You either go out in sub-zero weather to buy them something for Christmas or birthday or whatever and they just give a ho-hum response to your thoughtfulness. Every year since I got into making DVDs I would make my best friend a dvd set for his birthday, christmas etc. Two years ago it was the MOTU 2,002 series, i think it was last year that I bought that X-Box lot from Lord Smurfs friend, or the year before. But last year for Christmas I gave my firend my old one and a game etc. That he liked, the game not so much 'Halo'. He hates FPS. He said so upon opening it. This year I am redoing a fifty dvd set as mentioned in this thread: http://www.tvpreservation.com/cartoo...?TOPIC_ID=7627

i mean the only reason he got a X-Box was I had a total of like three with the one from LS's friend, my old one, the Mountain Dew green one and then Smurfs. I mean this is the type friend that wanted a DVD player for Christmas when they were over $200 ugh.

Just frustrated and expecting the same this year.

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  12-19-2007, 04:32 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Doesn't sound like much of a friend. I'd stop giving if that was the case.
  12-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
THat is why I love gift cards! I got the following:
For my wife:
Birthday-12/16
1) $60.00 gift card to Fashion Bug
2) $60.00 gift card to Starbucks
3) A CAse of her favorite Beer-$35.00
and something else I already forgot.

Christmas-
1)$300 gift card to her tanning/massage,beauty B.S. salon
2) Candy

Stepson
1) $100.00 gift card- So that he can hang out at that loser, liberal loving coffee klatch he likes!

Me-I'll probably get rejects from the $1.00 store that are 50% off!I'm lucky if they spend a whole $5.00 on me each! BAA humbug!~
  12-19-2007, 06:47 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MOTUfan

How many have these. You either go out in sub-zero weather to buy them something for Christmas or birthday or whatever and they just give a ho-hum response to your thoughtfulness. Every year since I got into making DVDs I would make my best friend a dvd set for his birthday, christmas etc. Two years ago it was the MOTU 2,002 series, i think it was last year that I bought that X-Box lot from Lord Smurfs friend, or the year before. But last year for Christmas I gave my firend my old one and a game etc. That he liked, the game not so much 'Halo'. He hates FPS. He said so upon opening it. This year I am redoing a fifty dvd set as mentioned in this thread: http://www.tvpreservation.com/cartoo...?TOPIC_ID=7627

i mean the only reason he got a X-Box was I had a total of like three with the one from LS's friend, my old one, the Mountain Dew green one and then Smurfs. I mean this is the type friend that wanted a DVD player for Christmas when they were over $200 ugh.

Just frustrated and expecting the same this year.

Brent

--------

Sounds like you need new friends. ( So do I ) I ll be your friend

Oddly enough brent. I have better friends on this board than I do offline.( Thats just sad )
I found out the hard way. After literally driving my car into ground playing taxi etc. Going out of my way for relatives time and time again. When it came time that I need a ride .I was without transportation for 3 years. Not one of those buggers Could return the favor. So I told them and relatives included to shove off.

I dont need or want people like you in my life.

If I all I am is a bank & a taxi to you F>>>>orget you jerks.

I make the exception with my mother. No matter how angry I get.
No matter how much she nags. You only have one, Once..

give your friend a blivit ( 25 pound O 'Crap in a 10 pound bag )

Maybe then they will aprreciate your generous gifts

12-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I only bought my friends and family presents that deserve and will appreciate them.

Don't waste your love on ingrates.

12-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Uhmmm marcus if you believe in polygamy i'd be happy to marry you and get in on your santa habits
I don't take up much room, and I eat very little.

(smirk)
  12-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Gramma of CPS

Yip, thats what we call a "Sugar Daddy" lol
  12-19-2007, 04:27 PM

Savage, you don't take much room?????? You're collection is larger than mine!

12-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
About 5 years ago, my sister started to ask for big gifts ($50-200 each), and then she'd shop for us at the dollar store or pawn shops. It pretty much pissed off everybody in the family, so we started to give one small gift to both her and her husband, and then get something nice for their kid (my nephew). What they were doing was spending like $1,000 on their son, and $20 total on everybody else.

One year, I didn't give my sister anything at all. I think that shook her up enough that she stopped doing it, for the most part.

After that she would still "go cheap", but it would be for things we really wanted (for example, some Smurfs PVCs and comics, which are harder to find, yet inexpensive). I give her credit for the effort too, not just the monetary value. It really is the "thought that counts" and when it's thoughtless, we have a problem.

Another year, because she plays video games with my nephew, they got one new game together from me. It was about $35 too, not what I'd consider cheap (remember, I'm still fighting debt -- note: I'm not being collected on or anything, just high balances -- and have been for a few years).

She did anger my brother last year, got him about $2 in gifts of stuff he didn't want (a book, a calendar ... both clearance items with sticker still attached), so this year, he and I are going to buy one gift for both her and her husband, pool a small amount of funds. We'll do the same for our nephew, buy him something nicer.

She wasn't raised that way. Her low-class co-workers rub off on her. I pretty much chew her out when she starts to say things like "I be doing" or "lie-berry" (for library). I don't want my nephew to grow up stupid.

We quit getting things for aunts, cousins, cousins-in-law, grandparents who are out of the picture, etc. As Bobby said, it's a waste of time and energy to get things for people who don't appreciate them. On the other hand, I do give some gifts to friends, but I'm really not very good about it, don't do it every year, especially as we've all moved to different states (and even different countries).

12-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Gramma of CPS

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MagnificentMarcus

Careful, he is a bootyman
  12-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Gramma of CPS

I m pretty easy to shop for.
I think DVDS are the best gifts to give for any occassion.
( aside from cash )

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

About 5 years ago, my sister started to ask for big gifts ($50-200 each), and then she'd shop for us at the dollar store or pawn shops. It pretty much pissed off everybody in the family, so we started to give one small gift to both her and her husband, and then get something nice for their kid (my nephew). What they were doing was spending like $1,000 on their son, and $20 total on everybody else.

One year, I didn't give my sister anything at all. I think that shook her up enough that she stopped doing it, for the most part.

After that she would still "go cheap", but it would be for things we really wanted (for example, some Smurfs PVCs and comics, which are harder to find, yet inexpensive). I give her credit for the effort too, not just the monetary value. It really is the "thought that counts" and when it's thoughtless, we have a problem.

Another year, because she plays video games with my nephew, they got one new game together from me. It was about $35 too, not what I'd consider cheap (remember, I'm still fighting debt -- note: I'm not being collected on or anything, just high balances -- and have been for a few years).

She did anger my brother last year, got him about $2 in gifts of stuff he didn't want (a book, a calendar ... both clearance items with sticker still attached), so this year, he and I are going to buy one gift for both her and her husband, pool a small amount of funds. We'll do the same for our nephew, buy him something nicer.

She wasn't raised that way. Her low-class co-workers rub off on her. I pretty much chew her out when she starts to say things like "I be doing" or "lie-berry" (for library). I don't want my nephew to grow up stupid.

We quit getting things for aunts, cousins, cousins-in-law, grandparents who are out of the picture, etc. As Bobby said, it's a waste of time and energy to get things for people who don't appreciate them. On the other hand, I do give some gifts to friends, but I'm really not very good about it, don't do it every year, especially as we've all moved to different states (and even different countries).

12-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Gramma of CPS

I agree .

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wayshway

I only bought my friends and family presents that deserve and will appreciate them.

Don't waste your love on ingrates.

12-20-2007, 01:20 AM

My younger brother used to be terrible when we were growing up. All of us kids hated it when he drew our name because he was so cheap. He would only get us what he wanted, knowing that he could play with it. My other brother got so mad at him that he burned his gift just so my other brother couldn't play with it. He got his *** beat quite a few Christmases! We don't give anything to each other now, sort of take care of your own and be happy to see each other. My family all still live in the same town I grew up in-Jerome, ID (hate it to this day, right along with my ex-wife!) I do have a younger brother who does live two hours away from Jerome.

I'm the only one who flew the coop and won't look back! Families, if it wasn't against the law to shoot them,-----------!!!!!
  12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MagnificentMarcus

But you might have a lot of the same sets. This way you can give away the doubles then there will be room.