Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

07-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 884 posts since Sep 2005
Man Who Played Bozo the Clown Dies
By JOHN ROGERS,AP
Posted: 2008-07-03 20:10:44
Filed Under: Star Obituaries, TV News
LOS ANGELES (July 3) - Larry Harmon, who turned the character Bozo the Clown into a show business staple that delighted children for more than a half-century, died Thursday of congestive heart failure. He was 83.

Photo Gallery

Lennox McLendon, AP Recently Departed TV
Stars of Every Stripe1 of 16 Larry Harmon, July 3: The man who appeared as Bozo the Clown for decades and turned the character into a thriving business poses, shown above next to a man dressed as Bozo, dies at 83.

His publicist, Jerry Digney, told The Associated Press he died at his home.

Although not the original Bozo, Harmon portrayed the popular frizzy-haired clown in countless appearances and, as an entrepreneur, he licensed the character to others, particularly dozens of TV stations around the country. The stations in turn hired actors to be their local Bozos.

"You might say, in a way, I was cloning BTC (Bozo the Clown) before anybody else out there got around to cloning DNA," Harmon told the AP in a 1996 interview.

"Bozo is a combination of the wonderful wisdom of the adult and the childlike ways in all of us," Harmon said.

Pinto Colvig, who also provided the voice for Walt Disney's Goofy, originated Bozo the Clown when Capitol Records introduced a series of children's records in 1946. Harmon would later meet his alter ego while answering a casting call to make personal appearances as a clown to promote the records.

He got that job and eventually bought the rights to Bozo. Along the way, he embellished Bozo's distinctive look: the orange-tufted hair, the bulbous nose, the outlandish red, white and blue costume.

"I felt if I could plant my size 83AAA shoes on this planet, (people) would never be able to forget those footprints," he said.

The business - combining animation, licensing of the character, and personal appearances - made millions, as Harmon trained more than 200 Bozos over the years to represent him in local markets.

"I'm looking for that sparkle in the eyes, that emotion, feeling, directness, warmth. That is so important," he said of his criteria for becoming a Bozo.
  07-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Bye Bye Bozo.
  07-04-2008, 03:11 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
Clowns scared me as a kid, never could watch those shows.....then I see the movie "IT" from the Stephen Kill book... great! Now I need therapy all over again!
  07-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Verified Member

Yeah, I hate clowns too. I was just being nice.
Poor guy though. May he rest in piece.
  07-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Verified Member

I'll never forget Poltergeist.