Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

07-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I have been combing slowly through my archive of New Japan VHS tapes (I am a Muta/Kenji Mutoh *****) and came across some Lucha Libre things and then found out it airs weekly on the Fox Sports Net Spanish

Just wondering if there are any other AAA/Mexican fans on the boards
  08-01-2005, 05:09 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 283 posts since Jun 2005
ME!! Specially old school from the 70s and 80s, I have a bunch of movies from Mil Mascaras Santo and Blue Demon. I have been looking for HUlk Hogan VS Mil MAscaras match from 1982. I f you find it let me know
  08-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Verified Member

I think the guy I bought the New Japan vs WCW Starcade 91 event that was never shown in its entirety (it was 3 hours and had Japan vs US title for title matches) had this, they are from Canada. I will let you know if they have it.

Do you happen to know which promotion the match happened under, AAA, LLL, AWA, Independent, Hogan was a part of many organizations before hitting it big in the WWF around 83/84, so it probably happened between his New Japan and AWA days
  08-01-2005, 09:10 AM

Verified Member

Mil mascaras was part of wwf http://www.socaluncensored.com/board...ex.php3/t-4961
  08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Verified Member

Was it some sort of cross promotional thing? Hogan did not return to the WWF till 84, in 81-83 he was the AWA and IWGP Champion floating between the 2 organizations, just trying to nail down where to ask

Or was this under one of Hogans aliases, I know he used Super Destroyer early in his career (with a lot of other people)
  08-01-2005, 11:16 AM

Verified Member

Sounds like a Good Mystery! I will keep searching and let you know whatI find out
  08-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Verified Member

Here is his title history so it might help pin down which region and promotion the match took place

February 1979 – NWA Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title
Defeated Ox Baker (as Terry Boulder) – Alabama
Lost to Austin Idol on June 20, 1979 – Mobile, Alabama

December 1, 1979 – NWA Southeast Heavyweight Title
Defeated Dick Slater (as Sterling Golden) – Knoxville, Tennessee
Lost to Bob Armstrong on December 25, 1979 – Knoxville, Tennessee

April 18, 1982 – AWA World Heavyweight Championship

Defeated Nick Bockwinkel (as “Incredible” Hulk Hogan) – Saint Paul, Minnesota

April 24, 1983 – AWA World Heavyweight Championship (2)

Defeated Nick Bockwinkel (as “Incredible” Hulk Hogan) – Saint Paul, Minnesota

NOTE (1) :The first decision was reversed by AWA President Stanley Blackburn for "hitting the champ with an illegal object."

NOTE (2) :The second decision was also reversed by Stanley Blackburn, due to Hogan throwing Bockwinkel over the top rope during the match, which was against AWA rules at the time.

Both of these rulings were overturned on April 4, 2005 by the AWA, who recognized Hogan as a two-time former champion.

June 2, 1983 – IWGP Heavyweight Title

Defeated Antonio Inoki by knockout in tournament final – Tokyo
Lost to Antonio Inoki by countout on June 14, 1984
  08-02-2005, 09:18 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
I think Dos Caras(Mils brother) went up against Hulk in Mexico for the UWA promotion. I think the decision was a draw. I think Dos Caras also has a rare pinfall win over Andre the Giant when nobody had a win over him. I guess it helped that he owned the company too.
Nobody seems to have footage of this.

I have a clip of the match that Hulk lost the Southeastern title to Bob Armstrong. I think that's the only regional title Hulk had. His AWA run was pretty fun as you could see the start of the Hulkamania run with the American Made T-shirts and cutting the great promos he would later be known for.
  08-03-2005, 05:15 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
I mixed up a luchador. El Canek was the one who went against Hulk and Andre. Dos Caras was basically a lightheavyweight. There is a chance that Hulk did go against Mil Mascaras in Los Angeles. I have a tape where he wrestled as a heel and pinned another guy with his feet on the ropes. There was a yearly battle royal where wrestlers from around the world would compete in it. On that same tape Hulk and Mascaras were in the battle royal. Mascaras won it.

I missed the Gulf Coast title because I haven't seen Hulk with pictures of him wearing that belt.

So after 20+ years Hulk is now a former AWA champ? Someone should tell WWE this so that Hulk can be pushed as the only wrestler to win three of the major World titles in the US. Too bad he didn't get a chance to win the NWA title when he did that angle for TNA.

I don't know if there is any "credibility" for Hulk being named a former AWA champ since at the time of the ruling Verne Gagne didn't own the rights to the AWA name.

This could be a case like that 8th world title that Harley Race gained in recent years. I know in Japan Antonio Inoki is regarded as a former WWF champ while till this day he's still never been recognized as a former champ in WWF/WWE.