Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
i missed an episode of a show and decided to download it a few days ago off of ThePiratebay.org and earlyer today i got this message from my service provider

Dear Customer,
This message is to advise that Cox Communications has received a notice claiming that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet service to post or transmit material in violation of U.S. Copyright law. We have included a copy of the complaint, which identifies the party raising it and the material claimed to be infringing.
We ask that you review the complaint and, if it is valid, promptly remove or disable access to the infringing material. If you disagree with the claims in the notice, you should contact the sender, and not Cox, to resolve the matter.
As an Internet Service Provider, Cox is responsible, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), to advise when we receive a notice asserting infringement by you. We are also required to take appropriate action if further claims are received that you do not resolve.
The material that you post or share online is your responsibility. Cox encourages responsible Internet use, but we do not monitor nor control the information you share. We have a duty, however, to take progressive steps when we received complaints of infringement.
If we continue to receive infringement claims such as this one, concerning your use of our service, we will suspend your account and disable your Internet connection until you confirm you have removed the infringing material.
To learn more about your responsibilities concerning copyrighted material, please refer to our help article at:
http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp...9-618ea54d1791
Sincerely,
Cox Customer Security

This is the original from HBO

--- Original Message ---

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Cox Communications

USA

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of a Copyrighted HBO Television Program

Dear Cox Communications:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Home Box Office, Inc. ("HBO").

We have received information leading us to believe that an individual has utilized the below-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of copyrighted television program(s) through a "peer-to-peer" service.

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted television programs constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3).

Since you own the below-referenced IP address, we request that you immediately do the following:
1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described above; and/or
2) Take other appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms of Service Agreement.

On behalf of HBO, owner of the exclusive rights to the copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state, that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by HBO, its respective agents, or the law.

Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, under the laws of the State of New York and under the laws of the United States, that the information in this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this notification.

Please direct any end user queries to the following address:

Mark Ishikawa
CEO
BayTSP.com Inc. - as an Authorized Agent of Home Box Office, Inc.
PO Box 1314 - Los Gatos, CA 95031
Phone:: 408-341-2300 fax:: 408-341-2399 hbo_p2p@copyright-compliance.com

*pgp public key is available on the key server at <http://pgp.mit.edu>

Evidentiary Information:

Notice ID: 104611
Asset: True Blood
Protocol: BitTorrent
  04-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
  04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
thanks what does that do? installed it but dont know what it does
  04-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
Peer Guardian acts as an IP address mask.

I actually got something like this a couple of years ago (while downloading an HBO show also). Those bastards!!!

I try to stay away from torrents and use Emule now for shows and stuff.

Anyway, i think there should be a verdict on this Pirate Bay case tomorrow (Friday). So, we will see what happens.
  04-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Forewarning, another site that I get constant emails about, as far as communications with cable companies and letters as above is
h33t.com and sumo torrents. I haven't used either, i've been lucky enough to not have to download anything for a bit now- but those 2 above I guess aren't good to use.

I will be curious what happens with Pirate Bay.
  04-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Nothing will happen to TPB. The four owners were handed a 1-year sentence and $3.6 billion fine, but they're already going to appeal, and that will be another 5 years before that happens. In the meantime, no time will be served, no fine will be paid. In all likelihood, the TPB admins will be exonerated, as the judgment has some irregularities and is contrary to current Swedish law.

Only get what you need, and use PG2 when you do.

It has little to do with the site itself. Most of them share the same torrent tracker data, so it doesn't matter what site you go to.

This is another reason by-mail trading is better than online downloads.

04-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Verified Member

ya i only decided to use it once to watch an episode i missed on tv