Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

08-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
I just picked up a couple of 25 8X-Rs spindles of TDK at Circuit City for $7.95 a piece.
  08-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Be sure to test these. I had a few nasty boogers slip past me in the recent past on the TDK DVD-R's. I'm still not sure if it was one of my drives causing it. I ran out before I could narrow down the causes.

Don't use them for mastering work. Just copies.

Nothing major, maybe 1-2 per 25, so about an 5-10% fail rate. Of course, that's about average for good media anyway. Guess I've just been spoiled on 0% fail rates from TY and MXL.
  08-07-2005, 10:54 AM

They have the manufacture code of TTG02.

I know what you mean regarding TY, I think my experience with them is less than a .05 failure rate. I'm almost shocked to have a failure.
  08-07-2005, 04:14 PM

I think these may be bad discs. I've been having trouble to get them to verify after I've burned them with DVD Decryptor.
  08-08-2005, 01:06 AM

Well, I can never get anything to verify with a "verify" utility, those are so flakey. I would say to run a Nero CD-DVD Speed surface scan on it. And then test it real quick in the player to make sure it plays.

You may just want to do that randomly.
  08-08-2005, 02:03 AM

These TDK discs are bad or fakes, so don't buy the TDKs 8-Rs at Circuit City. I've burned six discs and five of them have read errors. I will be taking them back. Long Live Taiyo Yuden!

I really did like those FujiFilm discs I got from Staples, but they were labeled TY02.
  08-08-2005, 02:13 AM

I don't think they're fake, I just think there's something "off" about the ones from Circuit City. I've never have issues with any TDK from anywhere else. It's just those 8x TTG02 too.

You ought to look at some SONY DVD-R (SONY) or DVD+R (YUDEN)
Those are both on sale this week, Staples and Best Buy.
  08-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Yeah I get my TDK from Best Buy and each one reads just fine when scanned with CD Scan, it must be something with the Circuit City ones.

Sony is also having a sale at CompUSA, 50 pack for $17.99-19 so I wonder if Sony is having a national promotion since more than 1 store is selling them