Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

02-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/10/net....ap/index.html

I've noticed this, has anyone else?
  02-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Your link goes nowhere. I can assume you were linking to a re-print of today's CNN online story (which I edited into your post).

For starters, the information/story is old news, from early/mid 2005, and the article has a number of factual mistakes (such as stating USPS charges Netflix the full 39 cents First Class postage each way, which is incorrect, they use metered/bulk permit methods).

Years ago, Netflix set up an online business model to compete with Blockbuster's offline stores, which was the only way to rent at the time ($4 per disc, rent a few at a time, drive to get them, drive to take them back). Compared to offline renting, what you got was "unlimited" rentals, all done from your computer and the mailbox. At no time was that supposed to mean "unlimited, as in zero limitations" (refer to the episode of the Simpsons where Homer tries to force the issue on the "all you can" buffet). There are obviously policies in place that insure everybody has a fair experience and gets a ton of discs in the mail.

Everybody gets movies sent ASAP, but you may not get the "latest and greatest" movies (or most recent DVD releases) if everybody has it listed as #1 in their queue, and you're a heavy renter. They give priority to others who rent less. Some people have only a few "latest and greatest" movies in their queue, so they may not have anything sent for several days or weeks. Too bad. Get some taste, rent something else in the meantime, some older shows.

Too many see conspiracy where none exists. All CPS members should be well aware of how unstable and unreliable the mail can be, so don't expect those discs to go zippity-split from the warehouse to your house in 24 hours. We all know how long it can take for trade packages to arrive. Also know some movies/discs are only at some locations, so it may take extra days to send from a location across the other side of the USA.

That article is a bunch of hooey, and poorly done at that.

02-10-2006, 03:13 PM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
dang...i'm still waiting for Wedding Crashers.
  02-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 305 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to Joker
Zip.ca (Canadian equivalent to NETFLIX) just introduced their own new policy this month. We will now have to pay Shipping surcharges once we go over a certain amount of rentals per month. So much for UNLIMITED RENTALS.

http://tinyurl.com/bzn8v

02-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 862 posts since Jun 2005
wow if any of you are netflix renters on here and have trouble getting the newest movies that come out i work at blockbuster video and get the newest stuff at least 1 to 2 weeks before it even comes out so just a bit of friendly advice to anyone who ever needs any help with new movies
  02-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
over here in the 51st state, ie UK, i joined a retailer named screenselect.

i went for a rent 3 at any one time for £14.99 per month option. my list was filled with older titles, rather than new ones.

with that in mind, i had a great service from screenselect. i was going through about 15 or 20 dvds per month! just six months later and i had 100+ movies in my collection! and only about 2 or 3 dvds went missing in the post.

so this backs up what lord smurf said. go for a wide choice of titles, old and new, and you'll get something. i've cancelled my contract with screenselect and am now waiting for a list of say 50+ titles in my wants list before rejoining.
  02-12-2006, 04:54 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Well, I for one am having some trouble and the Netflicks location is just 25 miles from me. I find that they are doing the above on the titles I've selected and these are not new titles. I will usually just cancel my membership wait a week and set up a new account with a new e-mail address. They are great for about two months and then it sort of starts all over again.