TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sales-deals/)
-   -   Universal Readying Blu-ray Titles (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sales-deals/7803-universal-readying-blu.html)

staypuftman2004 02-19-2008 05:20 AM

Universal Readying Blu-ray Titles

At least one of the two major studios currently exclusive to HD DVD is already gearing up to join the other team after Toshiba’s announcement it would stop making HD DVD players.

“While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray,” said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

Kornblau’s statement came moments after Toshiba announced it was pulling the plug on HD DVD, a move that effectively ends a two-year format war with Sony’s Blu-ray Disc to become the successor to DVD.

“The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear,” Kornblau said. ”Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for high-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate.”

A similar announcement is expected from Paramount Home Entertainment/DreamWorks, which last fall abandoned its dual-format strategy and began releasing titles exclusively on HD DVD.

wayshway 02-19-2008 06:05 AM

We clearly have a winner now.
I just hope Sony doesn't Jack up their prices now.

konfusion 02-19-2008 08:30 PM

lol. glad i didnt spend 60+ on the OOP universal/paramount titles on ebay. i already got around 50blu-rays. i just need to stop buying HD DVDs since they are just going to be on blu eventually.

Tcel93 02-19-2008 10:32 PM

I don't think Sony would be that stupid. Considering the fact that if the price goes up even a little, people will not stop buying it. Honestly, I don't understand why people are buying this stuff anyway. From what I've seen, the difference is not worth the difference in cost from regular dvd.

konfusion 02-19-2008 11:15 PM

blu ray is always on sale amazon has bogo sales all the time and many other sites. i get all mine from 10-15$ once in awhile i pay 20. unless its TV but still easy to get for cheap. i got prison break season 1 blu for 30$ and the normal one is about that price. IF anyone buys a blu-ray player and wants movies i have some good connects for movies for good prices. i dont think many people pay actual retail price of blu ray unless they are rich or stupid. i can tell a huge difference. but the tv makes a big difference as well. On a nice Pani or Pioneer elite or samsung lcd 1080p tv there is a huge difference. if you dont have a good 1080p tv i think its a waste of money and should stick to just regular dvd or just HD channels on tv.. there is a few blu-ray transfers that were really bad in the begining but the have fixed a few of them.

i remember before i had an hdtv i went to comp usa and watched their tvs and blu i was like man this is so ugly looking i dont see the big deal. this was the first blu of fifth element. the transfer and tv were crappy. then the remastered it again in blu and it was soo much freaking better. planet earth on blu looks crazy too. but then again my hd player is good too. i cant really tell the difference between the two but then again i dont have 2 of the same titles 1 blu and one red/hd.

anyone wants a demo. come over ill show you :)

Tcel93 02-19-2008 11:58 PM

Well, once Blu players are under $100 I'll take a look :)

konfusion 02-20-2008 06:16 AM

lol well. what i did to get my ps2 for 100$ when it came out. i paid a bum to steal one ahahhaah. i know thats wrong on all the levels but he wanted the money.

staypuftman2004 02-20-2008 08:22 AM

i plan i purchasing a PS3 soon