Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

07-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 21 posts since Jun 2005
When Stargate SG-1 first came out on dvd it was released in Volume dvds.
Season 1 was 5 separate dvds Vol1 Vol2 Vol3 Vol4 Vol5
They did this for most seasons.

Then Stargate SG-1 Season 1 was released and that was just Vol 1-5 in a boxset.
Is this right?
Are there any differences between them like extras etc...?

Later after most of the seasons were already in boxsets, they released them again as Stargate SG-1 The Complete First Season (Thinpak) sets.
Is there any differences between the older boxsets and the newer The Complete Season (Thinpak) sets? like extras etc...
  07-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Most of the discs have extras on them. There were not any "extras discs" in the box, no.

The only differences between the thick boxes and the thinpak re-releases was the cases themselves ... EXCEPT for season 8. Season 8 had a flawed discs in it, where they released the edited version of THREADS. I have this version, and I'm still pretty pissed off at MGM, because there was no easy replacement program (it expired too quickly). Only the thinpak releaseis correct.

If you get the S8 thinpak set, I'd love to get a DVD+R DL copy of the disc with the episode "THREADS" on it.

07-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 862 posts since Jun 2005
why was the episode edited
  07-25-2007, 04:19 AM

The episode is 55 minutes long. It was later shortened to 40 minutes for syndication.
  07-25-2007, 07:28 AM

Verified Member

Lord Smurf your saying that the older season boxsets are just the individual Vol 1-5 dvds put together.
There is no difference between them.
Is this Right ???

Also there is no difference between the older boxsets and the newer thinpak sets except for season 8 with the shorten version of the episode Threads.
Is that right???

I found out that Gateworld.net has the episodes of each season listed in a different order than the dvd boxsets.
Is gateworld's episode list correct?

07-25-2007, 07:38 AM

The only way you could buy V1-V5 was in a box set. Now, they rented out and sold old previous rentals that were individually wrapped, but that's it. The old box sets were 5 normal DVD cases, 1 disc each, in a big box. The recent re-releases were the same discs, but in thinpaks in a slimmer box.

The only difference is the season 8 set, for the reason I stated.

The DVD sets and gateworld.net always matched that I can tell. Maybe your box set info is wrong? The DVDs are in order that I could see, that's all I can say. I watched S1-S6 on DVDs, and S7-S10 while on tv.

07-25-2007, 10:16 AM

Verified Member

I rented Stargate SG-1 Season 1 vol 1-5.
Some of the episodes on the dvds are in a slightly different order than gateworld.net lists them.
Here is the order the way they are on the dvds
Disc 1: Children of the Gods (pilot), The Enemy Within, Emancipation
Disc 2: The Broca Divide, The First Commandment, Brief Candle, Cold Lazarus, Thor's Hammer
Disc 3: The Torment Of Tantalus, Bloodlines, Fire and Water, The Nox, Hathor
Disc 4: Cor-Ai, Singularity, Enigma, Tin Man, Solitudes
Disc 5: There But For The Grace Of God, Politics, Within The Serpent's Grasp

Gateworld.net order
01. Children of the Gods (1)
02. Children of the Gods (2)
03. The Enemy Within
04. Emancipation
05. The Broca Divide
06. The First Commandment
07. Cold Lazarus
08. The Nox
09. Brief Candle
10. Thor's Hammer
11. The Torment of Tantalus
12. Bloodlines
13. Fire and Water
14. Hathor
15. Singularity
16. Cor-Ai
17. Enigma
18. Solitudes
19. Tin Man
20. There But For the Grace of God
21. Politics (1)
22. Within the Serpent's Grasp (2)

Also if anyone buys the Stargate SG-1 Complete Series.
I would like a copy of the 4 bonus discs.
It will contain all 50 discs from the 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1 plus 4 bonus discs filled with content that didn't make it in the original dvd sets.

07-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I don't know if the show was aired in the same order in syndication as it was on Showtime, which aired it about a year before syndication. The opening credits for the Showtime run are different from the syndication credits, and those are what was used on the DVD release.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  07-26-2007, 01:05 AM

I believe the DVDs at least use the uncut Showtime versions (some nudity, language, etc), as opposed to the SciFi censored versions. So that's a plus.

There is also an error on my season one set, when Apophus speaks. His voice is gone in that one jungle episode, when he first gets a personal shield.

07-26-2007, 02:16 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 78 posts since Aug 2005
Season 1 was released as either a box set with 5 volumes or as individual volumes. (The individual volumes were available at WalMart, Best Buy, and a few other places for years for right around $10 each. They were new and not used --- aka "previously-viewed" --- copies.) The covers are somewhat different, with the box set version being nicer. The box set features the stargate running across the top of the spine when the volumes are in the right order, but the singles had plain spines with a pic of an SG-1 member but no stargate running across the top. The menus on the box set are a little nicer, too. Our Season 1 box set had the order as Wizzard listed for his rental discs.

Unfortunately, our Season 1 set has no box and is made up of discs from both versions. Disc 1 is the single volume version and discs 2-5 are from the box set. I have no way to compare the differences side-by-side and disc-for-disc. We got rid of the other single volume discs ages ago. (We kind of got ripped off on the box set at eBay and haven't replaced it yet. I'm glad we didn't now because the new complete series is what my wife wants and will be getting for Christmas --- if not sooner.)