Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

03-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 910 posts since Jun 2005
TBS BUILDS ON SUCCESS WITH A DEVELOPMENT SLATE OF PRIMETIME SITCOMS

Top-Rated TBS Builds on Success with a Development Slate Of Primetime Sitcoms and Late-Night Projects

Slate Features Projects from Such Comic Talents as Robert Townsend, Elaine Pope, Betty Thomas, Dave Caplan, The Jim Henson Company, Mark Wolper and Brian Hargrove

Popular and Critically Acclaimed Series MY BOYS, THE BILL ENGVALL SHOW and FRANK TV Slated to Return

TBS, television's top-rated comedy network, is ramping up its production of original programming with a slate of primetime comedy series in development, two late-night pilots ordered and three late-night projects in the works. The network, which currently ranks as ad-supported cable's #1 network in primetime delivery of young adults, has enjoyed tremendous success with such original programming as MY BOYS, THE BILL ENGVALL SHOW and FRANK TV. All three of those series are set to return.

"We're very proud to be returning all of our new series for additional episodes and that the response has been so positive among young adults and critics," said Michael Wright, senior vice president in charge of the Content Creation Group for TBS and sister networks TNT and TCM. "It's a real validation of our strategy of working with veteran comedy talent to develop shows that complement the lineup of memorable comedies on TBS. Our goal is to continue to reach out to the very best talent in the business and give them the environment they need to help us build and enhance TBS's brand."

Primetime projects in development include a sitcom adaptation of Jane Ganahl's bestselling memoir Naked on the Page: The Misadventures of My Unmarried Midlife, along with half-hour comedies from Dave Caplan (The Drew Carey Show) and Brian Hargrove (Titus). For late night, TBS has ordered pilot presentations of the animated series STAY TOONED (working title) and a new edition of the classic game show MATCH GAME. TBS is also working on late-night comedies with Robert Townsend, The Jim Henson Company and Mark Wolper.

The following is a rundown of TBS's projects:

Primetime Series in Development

Untitled Elaine Pope/Betty Thomas Series

TBS has begun development on a new sitcom to be based on Jane Ganahl's sassy, insightful memoir Naked on the Page: The Misadventures of My Unmarried Midlife. Emmy winner Betty Thomas (Dream On, The Brady Bunch Movie) will direct, should TBS move forward. The pilot for the series will be adapted by Emmy winner Elaine Pope (Seinfeld, Alfie) from Ganahl's critically acclaimed book about one woman's rollercoaster ride through middle-age. Beginning with the launch of her wildly successful San Francisco Chronicle column "Single Minded" and ending with her 50th birthday, Ganahl's book follows one frenetic year in a smart, social, middle-aged woman's life. It's a year of prodigious change, both personal and professional, further complicated by hormonal upheaval, family issues and the stunning realization that, after a life filled with too many men to count, she may stay single.

Untitled Dave Caplan Series

Dave Caplan (The Drew Carey Show) is writing this project from Sony Pictures Television. It follows the life of a woman who manages to get through the day with surprisingly good humor despite very difficult circumstances: Her husband walks out, leaving her with two kids and a struggling lumberyard. Caplan is basing the premise on his own life, in which his single mother raised him and his two sisters while running a business. He serves as executive producer along with Original Film's Neal Moritz (The Fast and the Furious, I Am Legend) and Vivian Cannon (Thief).

Untitled Brian Hargrove Series

Brian Hargrove (Titus) is writing this domestic comedy about a low-level judge and her husband, who happens to be a prosecuting attorney. The project, set in Raleigh, N.C., comes to TBS from Endemol, with Hargrove and Jeremy Gold (How You Look to Me) serving as executive producers.

Late-Night Pilot Presentations Ordered

MATCH GAME

TBS has ordered a pilot pre

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...04/joker-3.gif