Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

03-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
In September 2008, Columbia Pictures announced that, almost two decades after the last film came out, a new “Ghostbusters” movie is finally in the works. Recently, MTV spoke to Harold Ramis (otherwise known as Dr. Egon Spengler) about the upcoming film and got some exciting news. Most notably, Ramis dished that although the original actors (Ramis, Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray) will appear in the updated version of the film, their roles will be slightly different.

“We're going to be the sage mentors. There are going to be young Ghostbusters." Ramis said.

With the still unconfirmed news that Judd Apatow (“Knocked Up,” “The 40 year Old Virgin”) has signed on as producer, there’s been a great deal of speculation over the past few months as to whether the "Apatow Pack" (Paul Rudd, Seth Rogan, and Steve Carell) will be cast as the famous ghost hunters and questions about who will fill the director’s chair.

According to MTV, neither Ramis nor original director Ivan Reitman are especially keen to take on the directorial role.

"I'm sure we're all hoping someone else will do it," Ramis told MTV. "It's a lot of work!"

The new screenplay will be penned by writer/producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, who are behind “The Office” and the new Ramis -- directed comedy “The Year One” starring Jack Black and Michael Cera. But classic "Ghostbusters" fans needn't fret that these young turks have been left alone to drive the film, because Ramis will act as consultant along with his bustin' cohorts Ivan Reitman and Dan Ackroyd.

As for the one "Ghostbuster" who seems to be conspicuously absent from the line-up, Ramis tells MTV not to worry, that Bill Murray is definitely “in.”

"I haven't talked to him about it," Ramis said. "I want to talk to him about it eventually. I think we just need a script, because he's the thorniest of the group."

Watch the trailer from Ramis’ hilarious new film “The Year One” due in theaters this summer.
  04-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I'm not big on the idea of a movie about a new team of Ghostbusters being mentored by the originals. That reminds me of the TV show, Extreme Ghostbusters. I haven't seen Extreme Ghostbusters but I have heard that Egon was the only original that was doing the mentoring. I can deal with it as a TV show but I would prefer to not have it that way as a stand alone movie.

I also heard something about the Ghostbusters being transported to an alternate dimension that resembles Hell. They would be in Manhelltan, which is ruled by a powerful politician that is supposed to represent Satan. As a Christian, I definitely don't like that idea. I would accept new Ghostbusters over Manhelltan any day.