Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

08-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Probably worth seeing, hopefully Jessica Simpson and Jackass/Stifler don't mess it up too much!
  08-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Alright, I went to see the movie, and I have to say I was satisfied. If you've watched any of the specials that have been on lately, you've seen a bunch of the scenes (a LOT of them to be honest), but you never heard the plot.

The story basically centers around the General Lee and then Bo & Luke. These are definitely not Tom Wopat and John Schneider, but they are great characters all the same. Although I have to admit I do feel Stifler (just the dumb, not the jerky) and Jackass (the cool, not the stupid) in them, those guys are so typecast.

Jessica Simpson has very little screen time. I would say she has less than 10 one-minute scenes each with maybe a max of 2-3 lines each. Her horrible accent is actually only used twice in the whole movie, and on purpose to attract men. At all other times she sounds Texan to me.

Willie Nelson is the same. I actually wish he had a lot more screen time. His lines were usually typical Willie jokes, one-liners that I can almost bet he wrote or adlib'd on his own. Things like "Do you know why divorces are so expensive? .... Because they're worth it!" (which was shown in a commercial, so not a spoiler).

The only thing I didn't like was there were two things glaringly out of character. One was a joke about Uncle Jesse by one of the Duke boys, which they would NEVER have done in the series, they are supposed to cherish that man more than anything else in the world. The other was the attire of Daisy, she needed to show a little less tits and belly. In fact, in one outtake, one of the actors kept screwing up his lines, and finally in one of them he said something like "I can't concentrate with those big titties in my face". There was also some foul language and some fingers given, so not a family film, definitely a modern redneck film.

The soundtrack was excellent, a mix of classic hard rock (AC/DC, Ram Jam) and some country, redneck tunes. I went and bought the soundtrack. And believe it or not, Jessica Simpson did a great job on the cover of the classic Nancy Sinatra "These Boots Were Made For Walkin'", a song I have liked for many years now. Although her music video for it is quite trashy.

I was concerned that Willie would be the Balladeer, but that part went to Junior Brown, and he does almost as great a job as Waylon Jennings. They pause the movie a few times, just like they did before/after commercial breaks in the series (which was almost seemless in the DVD releases). It was very nice, nostalgic.

All in all, I'd say go watch it.

Not to mention, if you bought the Season 3 DVD box set, you have a free ticket. That's what I used.