08-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Looks like Warner is finally releasing this classic in antipation of the upcoming remake.

There are 3 editions mentioned. I just hope that we can get all 4 films mentioned below, plus the extras included in the tin set.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Director
Peter Jackson, at work on his own remake of "King Kong," is helping produce bonus materials for the DVD debut of the 1933 original.

Jackson is working on a new documentary, "RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong, the Eighth Wonder of the World," a two-hour, seven-part feature included in the two-disc "King Kong" set, which Warner Home Video will release on Nov. 22.

"Fans of this film are going to go crazy; we've got everything but the kitchen sink on here," said George Feltenstein, the studio's senior vp of classic catalog.

One part of the documentary focuses on the mysterious "spider pit" sequence deleted from the film before its theatrical premiere in New York and Los Angeles.

"For years, there has always been speculation, does this footage exist, so we have a piece that actually explains what it was and we do a recreation of it," Feltenstein said. "For fans of the film, that's a big, important thing."

In true Warner fashion, "King Kong" -- which has never before been available on DVD -- will arrive in stores in two configurations: a two-disc special edition and a two-disc collector's edition packaged in a collectable tin and including a 20-page reproduction of the original souvenir program, postcard reproductions of the original one sheets, and a mail-in offer for a reproduction of a vintage 27-by-41-inch movie poster.

"The real one is worth about $25,000," Feltenstein said. "These are all reproductions, but they're still nice to have."

Warner also will release a four-disc collector's set featuring the two-disc "King Kong" special edition along with "The Son of Kong" and "Mighty Joe Young."

Feltenstein said the DVD of "King Kong" was two years in the making and the fact that the DVD is arriving right before Jackson's remake opens in theaters on Dec. 14 via Universal Pictures is "actually a coincidence."

In addition to the seven-part documentary, the "King Kong" DVD set includes such extras as a documentary on "Kong" director (and creator) Merian C. Cooper, a trailer gallery of Cooper's other films, and a commentary from stop-motion animator
Ray Harryhausen, actress Terry Moore ("Mighty Joe Young") and special effects master Ken Ralston ("Star Wars").
  08-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
George Feltenstein is a jerk. He and I have communicated in the past about some stuff. He's a holdover from Turner Entertainment. I would believe a hobo on the street before I believe any of the dribble that comes out of his mouth. Also, he doesn't give two sh*ts about fans.

I'm sure there is some truth to this if you can cut through all his crap.

In fact, I'm under the impression it was him that pushed for the censoring of Tom and Jerry toons that we currently see on air.
  08-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
Huh, I got King Kong on DVD from the UK a while ago. It'll be interesting to compare that version vs. the one to be released - the UK version is touted as the director's cut, with restored footage. Another thing I really need to sit down and watch - love this film, but there's been so much I've been recording lately, I don't sit and watch films as much as I'd like.

Now, I want to see more stuff on Willis O'Brien. Back when I was in college (the '70s), the Wilkes-Barre PBS station ran a series of short documentaries on him that were fantastic. I'd love to see those again.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.