06-06-2005, 04:36 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
from NYTimes.com

Four months after initial designs caused an Internet uproar, the final look of the characters in "Loonatics Unleashed," a new animated television series starring descendants of the stars of the famous Warner Brothers Looney Tunes cartoons, have been completed.
Skip to next paragraph

These descendants of Looney Tunes characters are to star in a new television series, "Loonatics Unleashed," this fall on Kids' WB.

"Loonatics Unleashed," which is part of the Kids' WB fall schedule, is a comedy adventure set in the year 2772. The series finds the Earth flung off its axis and protected by six superheroes, the Loonatics. The team comprises Ace Bunny (Charlie Schlatter), Danger Duck (James Marsden), Spaz B. Wilde and Tech E. Coyote (Kevin Michael Richardson), Rev Runner (Rob Paulsen) and Lexi Bunny (Jessica DiCicco). Warner Brothers Animation and Kids' WB are scheduled to announce the names of the characters and the voice cast today.

"We're constantly looking for new and different ways to extend the franchises that we're fortunate enough to have in our library," said Sander Schwartz, the president of Warner Brothers Animation. "This is really a whole new show that tips its hat to the original Looney Tunes."

The futuristic heroes have some very popular ancestors, who in turn have some very vocal fans. In February, when initial images for the characters were released, fans and the media reacted loudly. The designs were occasionally called sleek, but were more often described as dark and menacing in newspapers, including The Houston Chronicle and USA Today. One fan, Thomas Adams, an 11-year-old in Tulsa, Okla., started a petition at his school and a Web site, saveourlooneytunes.com, to protest the changes. "I wouldn't have anticipated the reaction, but fortunately, it was a good reminder of the popularity of the characters and the esteem to which our audience holds them," Mr. Schwartz said.

"I think there was a misunderstanding," said Betsy McGowen, the senior vice president and general manager of Kids' WB. "They thought we were updating and changing the original Looney Tunes. We love Looney Tunes the way they are." She added: "We always thought of these as new and different characters. We always thought about this as an extension of the exciting brand, not a replacement."

Warner executives had a different experience when "Tiny Toon Adventures," produced by Steven Spielberg, was announced. The reaction to the show was largely positive. The series was given a prime-time premiere on CBS in 1990, before moving to syndication. "Tiny Toon Adventures" was later broadcast on Fox and WB. The reviews for the series were favorable.

In a preview provided by the studio, the animation in "Loonatics Unleashed" was like that of other WB series like "The Batman" or "Teen Titans," inspired by anime with a technolike soundtrack and bright, kinetic displays of action. That similarity is intentional, executives said. Ms. McGowen said the show was designed for children who have grown up on anime and to fit into the Kids' WB schedule, where it will be shown alongside "The Batman," "Pokémon," and "Xiaolin Showdown," among others.

Ms. McGowen and Mr. Schwartz said the Loonatics have tested favorably with focus groups of the intended audience, children ages 6 to 11. The series's initial plans called for 26 half-hour episodes, spread over two seasons. Each episode will have an "A" and "B" story with "ample opportunity for comedic pauses," said Mr. Schwartz.

One difference between the new and the original Looney Tunes characters is how they interact. "Unlike their ancestors who were rivals, they're working together as a team," said Ms. McGowen. Their powers will also be liabilities as much as assets. Consider Danger Duck, who can teleport but cannot necessarily control where he ends up. "Even though the characters are superheroes, they're not invincible," she said. Those sometimes faulty powers will lead to humor and some lessons. "They le
  06-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It still looks like ****. If you want something new, make it. Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Tiny Toons are all proof that new characters work, even if based off old favorites. Don't jerk around with our oldies.
  06-06-2005, 05:41 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 224 posts since Jun 2005
Version 2.0? I still can't believe that they changed it for a kids petition. They changed it because of a kid? Heh, if you don't feel good with your own production, then don't make one at all.
  06-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Seeing the new 2.0 versions I would have rather had them stick with the old designs, at least those has some edge, these seriously look bland in comparison, like they just recolored some of the characters and put a future backdrop

and what kind of a statement is this to make "I think we're doing it right, but I'll be biting what's left of my fingernails between now and the premiere," , I have never seen a cartoon with less backing and faith then this one, I mean come on if you want public approval you are already dead in the water, most shows carry on with the line of thinking that you NEED to watch our show because you wont be cool, this one has a "please will you watch us, pretty please" and that is just disgusting
  06-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005

Larger image