Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

02-14-2006, 04:45 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 319 posts since Jun 2005
Why does it seem that when a TV series gets an offical release the artwork is ugly and unimaginative? Here is an example. Here is the cover art for the forthcoming Odyssey 5 DVD set http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5126 and here is a cover I made a few years ago (missing the text though) http://www.geocities.com/rarevideosfortrade11/o5b.JPG

Which looks better? The bland "cast shot" or mine from the original promo art? I have found that 95% of the sets I buy that I also had a homemade cover of, I prefer the homemade over WAY more then the offical cover.
  02-15-2006, 08:12 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 612 posts since Jun 2005
Yours looked better. The other just looks quite ordinary.
  02-16-2006, 06:06 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I would tend to agree, I think Warner Bros focuses a little more on good artwork but companies like Lions Gate or Paramount tend to make the crappiest cover art known to man. There is even a topic like this over at tvshowsondvd.com because they took issue with a set (cant remember the name) where the promo press release art was 1000x better than the final art and so they ****ed to get the company to change it.

The Star Trek sets (again Paramount) tend to be bland as well, with those I dont really take issue that they are bland but if you go to amazon.co.uk or play.com and check out the R2 UK ST releases the cover art is 100 times better, we get weird rainbow colored plastic uggo cases for Voyager but the UK gets nice red embossed Federal manual looking covers?!? I easily will choose Ric Easton's fan made covers anyday over what Paramount provides

The list can go on, Battlestar Galactica, Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, all have better fan made art done...and thats just glancing at my shelf