Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

06-07-2006, 04:24 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
According to tvshowsondvd.com Warner Bros. is planning to begin releasing Popeye cartoon series/episodes on DVD starting in 2007. Here is the link to the article:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5804
  05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 684 posts since Apr 2007
From DVDTimes.co.uk:
Quote:
quote:Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Popeye The Sailor: 1933-1938 Volume One for 31st July 2007 priced at $64.92 SRP. WHV, Hearst Entertainment and King Features Syndicate bring you the cartoons that made Popeye famous nearly 75 years after his Silver Screen debut with this 4-disc Authorized Edition DVD collection which includes 60 original remastered and unedited theatrical shorts created by the legendary Max Fleischer.

Popeye The Sailor was introduced to the American audience in 1933 and became one of the most endearing and successful characters in animation history, mainly because of his unique vernacular and hilarious catch phrases. His adventures were strange, humorous and often supernatural as he traveled all over the world to resolve conflicts with enemies. Much like the other animation icons of the 1930s, the Popeye plots invoked traditional values, possessed uncompromising moral standards and resorted to force only when threatened. A softie for his lady love Olive Oyl, Popeye usually embarked on conflicts with villains like Bluto and Sea Hag when they made a move on his “sweet patootie.” Popeye was usually clobbered at first, until he ate his spinach and gained superhuman strength to defeat his opponent. With his enormous muscular forearms and corncob pipe in mouth, Popeye was always victorious after he ate his spinach.

Popeye The Sailor 1933-1938 Volume 1 includes more than nine hours of cartoons -- 58 (7- to10-minute) theatrical black-and white-shorts and two two-reeler 20-minute color cartoons. Some of the most memorable shorts from the DVD are the remastered “Blow Me Down!” and a cameo appearance by Betty Boop dressed as a hula dancer in the 1933 “Popeye the Sailor” cartoon, the short in which Popeye made his first animated appearance. The four-Disc DVD set also includes the Academy Award-nominated “Popeye The Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor” and more than five hours of incredible bonus features, including:

- Popeye Commentaries – Including historians, animators and filmmakers
- “Behind the Toons” – These featurettes are in depth looks at select cartoons, characters and creators
- “I Yam What I Am: The Story of Popeye the Sailor Man” – All-new documentary
- “The Evolution of Animation: The History of the Fleischer Studios” – All-new documentary
- “Max Fleischer and the New York Style” – All-new documentary
- Bonus Popeye Shorts – Including “Let’s Sing with Popeye” and “Popular Science”
- Bonus Fleischer Cartoons – Including “Poor Cinderella,” “Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy” and “Superman”

Watch a trailer for the release here: http://www.totaleclips.com/player/Sp...affiliateid=-1

source: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64581
  05-04-2007, 01:27 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 147 posts since Jun 2005
Hell has frozen over!

Now let's get Popeye and Son!!! LOL