Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

08-16-2006, 12:52 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5828

Last week Warner Bros joined a chat hosted by the Home Theater Forum to talk about their products, and answer questions from HTF members. Paul Miller asked about a few cartoons, and got a positive response for The Smurfs:

<PaulMiller> As a fan of 80s cartoons, is there any chance of The Smurfs, Pac Man, or the Plastic Man Comedy Adventure Hour coming to DVD anytime soon?

<WARNER> We are working on the Smurfs and hope to release it in 2007. We'll look into Pac Man and Plastic Man. Thanks for the suggestions

2007 looks to be very Smurfy!

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  08-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Yeah the thing that has always bothered me about that chat was the word "hope"

Plus Smurfs has more than 200 shorts so are we going to get a spectacular Beavis and Butthead treatement where its random selections or are they going to start from the 1st and go in order??

WB has never impressed me much, they are making some changes for the better with the DCAU boxed sets but that was after years and years of over priced "volume" releases

I am going to just laugh my *** off if 2007 means Q4 2007
  08-16-2006, 01:24 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
OR worse yet December 18th 2,007 will see the release of the "Absolutely Smurferrific Collection Volume One" which will contain ten Surftastic shorts. Which will end up being five random episodes in no logical order. And Lord Smurfs head will explode with anger LOL.

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  08-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Verified Member

My thoughts exactly...with a insert inside that says "More Smurfarific adventures in 2008"

Also it will probably be $45-55 like Thundercats was and have no special features ha ha ha ha

Man what BCI could do with Smurfs if allowed to get that license, WB should just outsource it they would get a much better product with more love and care.
  08-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
This is nothing new. They've already butchered releases in Germany, France, and Australia. They are a mix of incomplete "season box sets" (first 2-3 seasons only) and random episodes barfed onto best-of style volumes. It took them about 3 years to release three-fourths of S1 in Australia, a few S2 eps, and the Springtime Special. The special is the only redeeming value of those releases. Oh, and some of the S1 episodes have the original 80s intro (voice-overs), not the syndicated "Adventures" version (music score only).

I saw that interview, think it was at dvdtalk.com. Generally, when WB says "hope", it means there are legal matters in the way, and it's just an off-hand sort of comment. WB and NBC have to work out their differences before Smurfs gets a USA release.

08-16-2006, 06:41 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
But couldn't they get Wil Wheaton to do a "extra" for smurfs too???? He could be a "ULTIMATE SMURF FAN!" ha ha ha ha ha ha
  08-16-2006, 07:26 AM
Verified Member

Yeah I am sure Superfan Wil Wheaton could tell us the Smurfs are blue and that Smurfette was the only girl till the later seasons. You know REAL bonus material stuff

Thank T for bringing up the horrid memories of Thundercats ha ha ha ha, I dont think we will ever see a special feature as bad as that one in the history of DVD.