Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

01-26-2007, 12:56 PM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
According to Maxwell Atom's MySpace, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy will end its post-production this spring. Here is what he said:

So what's the poop on Billy and Mandy?

We've been going strong now for about three years. And before that we had another three years of struggling and flopping and gasping for air as we wriggled our way out of the primordial ooze. And a year or so before that I did the pilot. All in all, we've survived numerous cancellations (or non-pickups, as CN likes to say) and finally proven ourselves. By the middle of this year, we'll have 78 half hours in the can, plus a few specials and a TV movie. Not a bad run.
78 half hours is as many half hours as Cartoon Network has made for anything. There's a theory that by the time kids get through five or six seasons of a show, they've outgrown the series and moved on to bigger and better things. That doesn't mean that Billy and Mandy is done and gone, but it does mean that we won't be making new episodes for the series in the near future. It's the end of an era. But it's also a good thing.

When we did our last record a few months ago, Tom Kenny (Spongebob, for all you fans of The Enemy) said something to me that really made me appreciate the long run we've had on Billy and Mandy. "You guys are the only show I know of that exists solely because of fan support." And that's absolutely true, from our selection during the Big Pick to the fact that our two Funeral Parties didn't mark the end of our run.

So, yeah. For now this is The End. But all things, good and bad, end sooner or later. The good news is that there are still ten half hours left unseen, the crossover with the Kids Next Door, "Billy and Mandy's Big Boogey Adventure", and another hour long special called "Wrath of the Spider Queen". And maybe a few more treats along the way.

Not only that, but there seems to be some marketing going on this year. Will it ruin my indie cred if we get T-shirts or toys? Probably. But would I rather keep my indie cred or die penniless in a gutter? It's a tough call. And those DVD season sets you've been asking about? I can say with some certainty that we're looking at a big fat "maybe". And that's pretty good coming from Atlanta.

As for me, once we're done with post-production this Spring, I'll be starting on a brand new pilot (which I want to keep to myself for now) and a strange mutation special involving the Billy and Mandy universe (which I won't talk about yet, but the clues are out there!) and possibly another Billy and Mandy Holiday special (possibly). That's what Cartoon network tells me, and I believe 'em! This is gonna be a fun year (for me, anyway)!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This sucks...this was probably one of the best cartoons on Cartoon Network. Well at least My Gym Partner's A Monkey and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is still there.
  01-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Yeah, that sucks.
Well at least I finished my set a while back.