Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

02-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Robotech: Prelude Shadow Chronicles Comics (for Transformers, scroll down page some)

In speaking with Dan and after watching the movie I noticed that some people may not have read the 5 issue mini series. Currently it is sold out at robotech.com and fetches anywhere from $5-25 per issue on ebay (and its in and out of stock at most comic stores online). It had a short print run and was very successful, and Art of the Shadow Chronicles book is being released this year as well.

This mini-series is vital to understand the movie and its tie-in to the original series. It also has characters like Lisa Hayes, General Edwards, Breetai, and other "Sentinels" characters that were missing from the animated movie (for obvious reasons after you read the issues)

To understand the movie 100% you need to keep some things in mind:

-This 5 issue series takes place around the same time as the last 10 episodes of Robotech

-The DVD movie "Shadow Chronicles" starts shortly after Issue 5

-The DVD movie for the most part is from the point of view of the REF force during the final moments of the final episode of Robotech

-The Waltrip brothers worked alongside T.Yune in order to segway parts of the Sentinels story they created years ago into the continuity of the Robotech series of 85 and 07

Just like I did for Robotech Shadow Chronicles here are the 4 issues that make up the prequel set if you are going to see TF the Movie

All 4 issues are in cbr format (comic book rar) and all the information about how to read them is included in the Shadow Chronicles thread which is a sticky

After 2 weeks I will make this a stick for CPS members to always have access to.
  02-10-2007, 07:03 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
Thanks Mark...This is a big help to many of us who weren't able to get our hands on the 5 issue comic set. You really made this RT fan happy.
  02-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Verified Member

since we are all fanboys, this site might help as well

http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/2005/10/pr...onciles-1.html

Its a blogger who has been working on coverage of the Shadow Chronicles since back when it was in its planning stages and has a nice breakdown of each issue, tying it into what we know from past issues and the original cartoon. He is pretty much the definitive source on the web to tie the final 5 episodes of Robotech, the Sentinels comic series by the Waltrips and the new DVD movie "Shadow Chronicles"

Be sure to read the comments below his extensive analysis, he answers some more questions that help clear up any timeline confusion.
  02-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I actually own these issues, but after my move, no idea where they are. I realized about 10 minutes into the movie that I needed to read the comics again. Thanks for posting these.

02-25-2007, 01:01 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
Was the movie that Rick Hunter and Lisa hayse got married in released onto DVD with the Legacy collection?? I am still picking up the sets and was curious.

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  03-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Verified Member

Yes, it is called The Sentinels and it is a bonus disc on the 3rd legacy boxed set if I remember correctly. As long as you own the "Macross" parts of the Legacy collection you will have that disc.
  03-01-2007, 02:19 AM

Alright, I finally found time to re-read the Prelude comics, and then watch the Shadow Chronicles DVD. Absolutely excellent. I look forward to more. You know those Haydonites did always creep me out in the novels. I prefer this version.

Next question.... I started to re-watch the Legacy DVD sets recently (last watched in 2001-2002). I never realized how shoddy the conversion was on those. There is chroma noise, digital artifacts, dirt/hair film noise, and just generally sharpness/audio is lacking. I also HATE ... HATE! ... the sloppy film work, where you see static blips at the bottom of the screen on scene changes. Sometimes the picture bounces too. Do the more recent releases, specifically the "most recent ADV release" sold for $99 on Robotech.com, correct this?

03-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Verified Member

The edited/remastered editions I think clean up all that stuff as well as add 5.1 surround sound but of course there are some edits and changes to sound effects, etc.

As far as know the $99 set is the edited/remastered editions (Newly restored footage integrates scenes previously cut from the original broadcast, with new opening & closing credits and eye catches, creating a never-before-seen version of this seminal adventure series. The audio has also been restored and remixed in 5.1 digital surround sound, to ensure the highest-quality experience possible.)

The legacy boxed sets are pure dumps from film to dvd, its a shame too given the quality of cartoon dvd releases today (outside of f-ups like Thundercats)

I found this in a review, sums up the "changes", now that the set is $99 it might be worth adding to your collection

This is not the original series as it was released in 1985. Robotech—The Protoculture Collection contains the newly remastered edition of the series ADV began releasing a couple of years back. Much like the enraged outcries of Star Wars fans over additions to the holy original trilogy, Robotech viewers were shocked to hear additional sound effects and see amped-up visuals CGI'd on top of the original cel animation. Honestly, there's not much added, and the sound is vastly improved during the battles with the full surround effect. Mostly the "Remastered" title is a marketing device. The box claims "extra footage," but each addition lasts merely a second or two. You get to see "butts" in some shower scenes, and "guts" in the battles. The aggressive new surround sound mix only kicks in during the battles, and reverts back to a two-channel mono once the smoke clears for the dialogue scenes. The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).
  03-01-2007, 10:11 AM

After further digging online, it seems these are from the restored film that was used for the Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada releases. Basically it's the 3rd Robotech DVD version. Some added stuff that didn't need tweaking was put on the discs, but cleaner video and audio is most noticeable. It comes from the original Macross/SC/Mospeada films and a backup copy of the long-destroyed Robotech audio masters.

I might pick up a set. The old one is driving me batty. It's not bad, but it can clearly be better. I guess I'm just spoiled now, having seen Shadow Chronicles.

03-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Verified Member

I just bought the protoculture set today, its selling at Best Buy for $75 and on amazon.com for the same price, a steal based on its retail cost and the fact each legacy set still sells for $25-40

I watched some of it and here are my thoughts:

New Intros: This is probably one of the biggest changes, they essentially took the original Japanese intros for each show, put the robotech theme song on top of it and added new credits that fade in and out like the Shadow Chronicles. It is a REALLY nice presentation and I could live with it. Each series has their own, for example the Macross set of episodes has the Intro where the Robotech logo fades in and underneath it says "The Macross Saga"

Video:
Just outstanding, as predicted it came from the ADV remaster jobs on the JP sets and it looks great, still some grain but a lot of the noise and artifacts are gone, also the black has been restored (sometimes I think too much but thats probably just me)....it definitly looks "remastered", best comparison I can say is a BCI Filmation set in terms of quality

I have a 32" HDTV and when something is bad or average you can instantly tell, much like LS when I rewatched Robotech from the Legacy set I groaned. The Legacy set will always be the only "true" Robotech because its unedited as originally aired (even in transfer quality lol)

But if you have an HD set or are very picky about quality I highly recommend the Protoculture set, it has [u]ALL</u> the legacy bonus discs and the new transfers are heads above the originals.

Just keep in mind that its a more modern presentation and seems to blend more with the look of Shadow Chronicles then the look of old school Robotech.
  06-06-2008, 01:43 PM

I think I'm going to remove these from the server. It's been more than a year on TF, and two years on Robotech. Anybody that wants these probably has them by now, correct?