Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

07-08-2005, 08:34 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I thought it was awesome!!! I kept looking for hints to other Marvel movies but couldn't find any, well other than Stan the man Lee, of course
  07-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I was very pleased.

It was a fast movie, but I don't know else extra time would have accomplished. It really felt more like a big-budget series pilot. Well written, I thought. Dr. Doom's new origin/powers is fine by me, as is the fact that Alicia is black and not white (the two "glaring" differences I see people whining about).

I liked this as much as Batman Begins, maybe a bit more.

For an F4 film, I was very satisified.

Some of the previews for other movies, I also look forward to: King King, the dead bride one from Tim Burton, some others.

I must admit, there were a few "HERE'S MY BOOBS" scenes where that where I stared at the screen. Thank you, Ms. Alba! Miracle Bra in action. But T&A aside, she did quite well in the role, I was impressed.

The actors they selected were all spot-on for the characters.

07-08-2005, 11:12 AM

Verified Member

I'm looking forward to those as well, esp. the Tim Burton film. Kong looks good as well, has a real feel to the original from the previews
  07-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I loved it (yes I did get out to see it), loved it loved it loved it. Thought the chemistry between the cast was GREAT and at no time did I look at the screen and say I would have done this differently

I loved the interaction between the characters of The Thing and The Human Torch, it really got to something I always felt the cartoon left out or did not use to its advantage. Also Jessica Alba rocked, she was much better than I had anticipated and it was great to see that ending right before the credits!
  07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Jessiicccaaa Alba!!!!!! I'm in love!!!!!
  07-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
Wow, the reviews I've been reading have been completely different from what you guys are posting. I'm glad - I want to see the film next week with a group I go to movies with. I still like the Corman flick, but I am definitely looking forward to this one.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  07-09-2005, 01:27 AM

Verified Member

going to see it again today Just out of curiosity, what kind of reviews have you heard regarding the film?
  07-09-2005, 01:54 AM

From comingsoon.net:

[quote]quote:Fantastic Four, Reviewed by: Scott Chitwood, Rating: 7 out of 10

What Worked: I've been a Fantastic Four fan for over 25 years. I've read a majority of the FF comics and I've long had a mental image of what I was looking for in an FF movie. The good news is that this Fantastic Four film manages to capture a lot of what made the comics appealing. The bad news is that the final product isn't quite as good as it could have been. The movie does take a number of liberties with the comic in order to bring it to the big screen. Their origin is different, their powers are tweaked, Alicia Masters is black, Von Doom woos Sue Storm, etc etc etc. However, most of these changes are relatively minor and the true spirit of the comic is still here. It's kind of a mix of the classic Fantastic Four comics and the new Ultimate FF comics (which are re-imagined versions of the original tales). For example, they tie the origin of Doctor Doom in with the origin of the FF. They also make Doctor Doom into an organic / metallic character that can shoot lightning rather than just making him a burned guy in a suit of armor. Despite this, they still give him his trademark mask, make him a character from Latveria, etc. It's still generally faithful to the comics. One of the things they nailed perfectly with this movie is the interaction between The Thing and Johnny Storm. The rivalry and horseplay between the two is straight from the comics. Johnny mercilessly plays jokes on Ben and makes fun of him. I particularly liked a scene where Johnny harasses Thing with an action figure of himself. These moments are the true ighlights of the film. I think the casting of the FF movie was very well done. Chris Evans is probably best of all as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch. He's ****y, immature, and a real daredevil just like in the comics. Evans perfectly portrays that spirit of the character. And when he finally jumps off a building and yells "Flame On", it's one of those geek moments that comics fans will love. It also happens to be one of the best action scenes in the entire film as he tries to outrace a heat seeking missile. Michael Chiklis is also great as Ben Grimm/The Thing. I have to admit that I always thought The Thing should be CG, but the makeup works pretty effectively in the movie. Chiklis brings the perfect attitude and surliness to the character. You sympathize with him as he has to adjust to life with his new rocky body. He breaks cups, bites off forks, and generally has a lot of problems that make him miserable. Ioan Gruffudd makes a good Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic. They do a few fun tricks with his elastic powers like squashing his face on a keyboard, changing his facial features, and other things. They also do trademark tricks like having him wrap up Thing to restrain him and acting like a slingshot. You also have Jessica Alba as Susan Storm/The Invisible Woman. She wasn't my first choice for the role, but I thought she did a good job. She has multiple roles in the film as the mother of the team, Johnny Storm's sister, and a love interest for Richards. Alba handles them all well. Finally, there's Julian McMahon as Victor Von Doom/Doctor Doom. He's handsome as Victor and his smooth voice coming from the evil looking mask makes him all the more intimidating. Also be sure to look for another cameo by Stan Lee as Mailman Willie Lumpkin. In the end I found Fantastic Four to be entertaining, but not quite as good as it could have been. I desperately want to see more Fantastic Four movies, but I'm not sure this one is going to be strong enough to get more sequels off the ground.

What Didn't Work: Ironically, one of the greatest strengths of Fantastic Four is its greatest weakness. Humor has always been a trademark of the comic and the movie does its best to capture that. When it does it, like in the case of the horseplay between Thing and Torch, it does it well. But there are times where it ventures
  07-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Verified Member

yeah almost every review I read panned the hell out of it as if it were the 2nd coming of Hulk, I would gladly pay again today to see it as well as buy the DVD. I greatly enjoyed it

The things I have seen nitpicked are because some guy whos fantasies about this movie where shattered the minute they changed Dr Doom's origin or because they did not make the entire focus on Ben's search to become human (I mean come on that underlying storyline went on for decades in some ways)
  07-09-2005, 05:21 AM

Verified Member

If they were 'true' fans of the comic, they wouldn't criticize it to death. I mean, they didn't even have to make the movie. A half way decent movie is better than no movie at all. It's been a hard road to get comic movies to the big screen, take it for what you can get, enjoy it, and support it, so there will be many more to come. I wasn't exactly crazy about Daredevil but I watched it, enjoyed it and bought the movie. Have still yet to watch Elektra. I can't wait for the Iron Man movie.
  07-09-2005, 06:05 AM
Verified Member

This is how I would rate the Marvel movies, FF4 for me falls on the GOOD/EXCELLENT side rather than the complete crap side

Best = Spiderman 1 & 2
OK/Good = X-Men 1 & 2 and Fantastic Four
Average but enjoyable = Blade 1 and 2 and Daredevil
Not so good, would not see in $1 theatre or even for free on cable = Hulk, Blade 3, and Punisher

I was telling my wife this morning, if they want to ***** then compare it to the DC universe Jewels Superman 4 and Batman & Robin then think about *****ing again
  07-09-2005, 10:58 AM

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
I just got back from seeing it with my 10-year old son and I was rather disappointed. I DO tend to be overly critical on comic-book inspired or science fiction movies though. I really thought Dr. doom was a WUSS! None of the evil, megalomaniacal genius we know and love! He was merely a lovesick schoolboy with sparkly hands!! At least they mentioned Latveria..although mentioning the fact that he was its dictator would have been cooler! The Thing/Torch interplay was the best part of the movie. Although Jessica Alba looked HOT, she no more seemed like a geneticist than I do a nuclear physicist.Oh well, there's always Ghost Rider!!
  07-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Verified Member

lol if you did not like FF4 then dont get your hopes up for Ghost Rider, I dont know why but I just have an erie feeling that movie is going to suck so bad, I hope its good but I just see disaster especially given the adult nature of the comic
  07-09-2005, 03:16 PM

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
Spiderman is the only GOOD superhero movie that Marvel has done..and Sam Raimi is a Spidey fan from way back! Nah, I really dont expect a lot from GR. I just wish that Marvel would at least require the damn director of a superhero flick to read the freakin' comic first!!LOL!!
  07-12-2005, 09:13 AM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
Very cool movie. However i think the fight scene was pretty short. This movie gives me hope for a Silver Surfer movie with a CGI Galactus (kinda like the one in the Silver Surfer Cartoon). The effects in Fantastic 4 were pretty seamless so I'm sure they would have no problem recreating the Silver Surfer universe.

Also, i think it's time to do some crossover movies like Spiderman Vs. Wolverine; Fantastic 4 vs. X-men; etc.

Raman
  07-12-2005, 09:36 AM

Yeah, Spidey vs Wolverine would be excellent.
Did they ever have comics to that effect?

I remember the "new Fantastic Four" as a Marvel card in the early 90s, showed Wolverine, Spiderman, She-Hulk (I think?) and another as the "new" team. Alas, I never saw ANY comic that had this team-up. I need to go dig that card out, not sure exactly where it might be.

07-12-2005, 09:42 AM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
No idea if that was an actual comic Spidey vs. Wolverine but I know they have met on occasion.

BTW, THE New Fantastic 4: Spiderman, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and HULK. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

Raman
  07-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
Im sure there will be another F4 movie. Maybe he will introduce the Silver Surfer. Who knows the possibilities!!
Thankx
Billy
  07-21-2005, 08:51 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 77 posts since Jun 2005
Blade 1 + 2 are the Best Marvel films ever made.

Fantastic 4 was good, but lacked the big ending.

X-men films were just week. The Special effects were poor and there simply wasant enough charcter. They could have been 1 hour longer each, and got more indepth with charcater arcs within the film itself. They also needed some team battles, not just a lot of one-on-one fights.

Spiderman was okay, but dragged on a bit. The Green Goblin costume was dreadful. The sequel still dragged, but was better.

Hulk did not smash one bit. I still can't get over that scene where hulk jumps to the top of a hill, the army come swinging in, aim all there guns at him, were about to see a huge hulk vs army fight... finally. and instead, he turns back into banner. A real let-down.

ku7uk
  07-22-2005, 03:53 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Silver Surfer will not be in the FF sequel. He's getting his own movie. An announcement was made recently and I can't find the info. It was an off beat director, but I can't remember who.

There was a Spidey vs. Wolverine limited series, maybe two. If that's a pairing you like, I'd suggest picking up the New Avengers series from Marvel. Spider-Man and Wolverine are now both on the team. Only 7 issues out and a trade of the first 6 will be out very soon.

Spider-Man, Hulk, Ghost Rider, and Wolverine "were" the Fantastic Four in issues #348 and #349. A Skrull posing as the Invisible Woman assembles the new "team" for some reason. They also make another appearance in FF #374.

Oh, and I finally saw this last weekend and thought it was great. I went in expecting the worst (especially from Alba) from all the bad I'd heard, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Really liked the ending shot where we see Doom's mask through the window and it goes dark. Reminds me of the issue where he mask (in the FF trophy room) comes to like and destory's everything, with it's eyes glowing yellow.