Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

07-10-2005, 06:51 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
Batman said only 3 people were smart enough to cause the gun to fire from the watchtower. He said 2 were on the watchtower and one was Luther. Who are the other 2 smart enough on the watch tower. I'm guessing Atom is one of them? Who's the other or both?
  07-10-2005, 06:52 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
The Martian Manhunter's my guess

Captain Atom maybe

07-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Manhunter is indeed one of them.
Batman is probably the other one.

Atom is "just" a scientist, I don't think he can do this.
Captain Atom is just a "dumb grunt" from the military.

The DC animated universe has turned Batman into a super-scientist, beyond the call of a "mere" detective. I'm not sure I like it, never really have. Atom would be the more logical choice, but that's not how things were done.

Luthor started out as a mad scientist genious, and although he went more corporate lacky after the 80s re-vision of the DC comics universe, the DCAU never really did it that way. The corporate version is visible in Lois & Clark or Smallville. A really good "mad scientist" version can be seen in the 1950 serial. I'm not sure what he was in the 70s-80s movies, was really wishy-washy. DCAU has him as both, and I think they've done pretty well at it (since 1996's Superman TAS).

07-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
The 90's animated Luthor is more in line with his DC Comics counterpart after the mid 80's, he matches up almost perfectly with Luthor during the Superman is dead comic story and after, smart enough to be a great scientist but dirty enough to be an evil politician.

I think Batman as a super scientist fits, never had an issue with it. He supposedly immersed himself in all things educational for almost 10 years during his young teen-young adult years after his parents were murdered, according to the big book about Batman that details his every appearance, villian, etc.

Also notice that 1/2 the time Batman just uses common sense and reasoning and not necessarily any form of super hard science to figure things out, point in case is this 4 parter, its not like its hard to see something is wrong and hunt it down.

As for the gun I completely agree it was Martian Manhunter, but Batman has not been on the Watchtower in a LONG time, remember he is part time , I would think Atom would be the only other one who would KNOW how to do it, he does not have that side to him to do actually do it but he understood the nanotech well enough I would think remote controlling the gun would not be too hard lol
  07-10-2005, 11:51 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
The other one couldnt have been Bats because he wasnt on the Tower. My guess is that he meant Ray Palmer..the Atom..was the other person besides J'onn.
  07-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Batman is a detective, but Bruce Wayne owns and runs a hi-tech company.1) If memory serves me right Batman/Bruce Wayne and Luther had a joint corporate venture in a three ep story which Luther and Joker team up to destroy Superman and Batman.2) Also there was a two episode story of Superman/Batman in which Bruce Wayne was being controlled by Brainiac through Nanotechnology. Robin brought in Superman to play Batman.Bruce Wayne's company was developing a new body and spaceship for Brianiac.

Another person who may qualify because of his scientific prowlness is Steel, remember he worked for Luther and developed a armor suit which gave us mere mortals the power to challenge Superman.
  07-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
That is a good point, for those who may not have seen it Steel will show his expertise in machines and technology shortly if not already (depending on which ep you have seen up to) so he could also have rewired the canon
  07-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
I would think Batman and Jean.
  07-11-2005, 06:40 AM

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
I still say Ray Palmer(the Atom) and J'onn. I mean, he helped Luthor figure out how to "beat" Amazo and figure out how he worked. We also know he definitely was on the Tower at the time because Galatea beat the HELL out of him there shortly after. again, Bats was no on the tower.
  07-11-2005, 08:30 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
Looking at this from another point of view. Didn't Batman say that only three people were smart enough to activate the gun by remote control. Does Bats consider the Martian a person?

It couldn't have been Jonn because he was at the watchtower when the gun went off. He wouldn't need to control it by remote control since he was already on the watchtower. Wouldn't that reasoning dictate that whoever did it by remote control wouldn't be on the watchtower?

I don't think three people would be an accurate assumption since as soon as Prof Hamilton saw the blueprints he figured out pretty quick what Lex was up to.

I don't know know who the other two people are. I still think Atom is a good guess. Like anyone noticed if he was there or not.