Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

07-28-2007, 08:29 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
After having watched Gatchaman UNEDITED, I was curious to find out from everyone on the board what are the TOP 10 "essential" anime series that should be a part of any collection? If you can, give a small synopsis of the series as well as why you think it should be incleded on the list.

While I have only recently started getting in to anime, I do own the legendary series, ROBOTECH on DVD as well as TRIGUN, Vampire Hunter D, and Vampipre Hunter D: Bloodlust, so I do have some idea of "GREAT" anime, but I'd like to add more to my collection. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan D.
  07-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
My favorites, in no particular order:

Trigun - extremely funny comedy, western outlaw meets a bit of sci fi, great characters, never met anybody who hated or disliked this show

Slayers series (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, and the Slayers movies and OVAs) - hilarious comedy, medieval setting, following the adventures of the dragon slayer Lina Inverse ... I suggest watching the 2nd series (NEXT) first, and the others after that, resume the storyline order

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - hilarious comedy, drunkard idiot captain only in his 20s, accidentally lands as the commander of a war ship, big space battles

Cowboy Bebop - great comedy, space-fairing bounty hunters travel the Solar system, hunting down criminals, very similar to Trigun

Samurai Champloo - a mix of comedy and graphic sword fighting, feudal Japan setting, from the same creator of Cowboy Bebop, excellent animation

Big O - some comedy, suspenseful stories, based on a post-Apocalyptic world where everybody has amnesia, sort of Batman-like with mecha

Robotech - I consider this to be more of an American cartoon, but the footage is from anime shows, basically a grand space opera, with comedy and action and drama, my favorite mecha of all time, one of my favorite cartoons ever (especially the Macross Saga 36-episode story arc)

Pokemon - very innocent entertainment, a lot like Smurfs or even Tom & Jerry, worth watching the first season, if not the entire 10-season (to date) series of shows and movies

I cannot suggest these shows enough. It's a shame most anime is only 26 episodes long!

... and I'm not really an "anime fan" either, these are just great cartoons that happen to be from Japan!
  07-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Death Note. Even though it isn't dubbed yet. It still rocks!!! Watch for sure. I do have all 37 eps.
Cowboy Bebop
Bleach
Naruto unedited and un dubbed
Fruits Baskets
Gungrave
Any Leiji Matsumoto stuff: Captain Harlock, Galaxy Railways, Galaxy Express Star Blazers etc etc..
Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny
Noir

You can visit my page for anime
  07-30-2007, 01:17 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Everyone that Wayshway said, except that you don't want the dubbed copy of Bleach either. They kinda killed it. Watching the subtitled Japanese version is a much much much better experience.

For my recomendations other than those above:

Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) Excellent series
Flame of Recca
Maison Ikkoku (Classic, everyone should see this)
His & Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) even thought he anime was cut off early, watch it and then finish the story through the manga.
12 Kingdoms
Aoi Yori Aoshi
Aoi Yori Aoshi: Enishi
Nana
Chobits
Elfen Lied (Not for everyone, but I thought it was excellent)
Escaflowne
Fushi Yugi
Full Metal Alchemist
GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)

These are just a few, My list just keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger.......

07-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I think you need to go back to the beginning, and include 1960s Astro Boy. It's where anime started. Watch it as Tetsuwan Atom or as Astro Boy, it opened the door for Japanese animation (and at least in the case of this show, the creator was involved in the Americanization of his creation, unlike 8th Man).
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  07-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I'd also suggest looking at series from all eras, not just recent stuff from the past couple of years. Speed Racer and Macross are two more earlier shows (1970s) that I would suggest.

Remember that the word "anime" is pretty recent to English-speaking countries. The term Japanimation is what was used through the 1980s and into the early 1990s. My old Robotech art books have a chapter dedicated to Japanimation.

07-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Tcel93 is absolutely correct. Bleach dubbed is terrible.

ttyl
Bobby
  08-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
These are some of my favorites in no particular order. I have no idea about what qualifies as Anime, but these are some I like that don't involve tentacles or overtly gory violence

1.Space Battleship Yamato
2.Space Adventure Cobra
3.Lupin the Third
4.Voltron
5.Raideen
5.Sailor Moon
6.Inuyasha
7.Cutey Honey
8.Dragon Ball
9.Transformers
10.Tranzor Z