Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Not much news, but at SDCC this weekend, they hinted that Luthor would escape from prison and form....the Legion of Doom (with a cool headquarters building).

It will be tough to top this season.
  07-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
We are also supposed to see some hint of the Green Lantern Corp, a lot of people think its a prelude to the show that was shelved when Duck Dodgers was choosen instead by WB
  07-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I want to see more GL ... the new comics are pretty good, I'm glad they resurrected Hal Jordan. We never saw him in the DC animated universe, not so far.
  07-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Verified Member

Hal Jordan was in the time travel episode last year. Remember when the heroes were chasing the Chronos through time. John Stweart GL changed into Hal Jordan for a few minutes.
  07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
I remember that..That was awesome!!!
  07-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Verified Member

Lots of new info today, most of it not great. Read below for plans after JLU.

Hall of Doom

A preview panel was held at the San Diego Comic Con, in which the show’s creative team discussed upcoming episodes dealing with the newly formed Legion of Doom, Hawkman, Warlord and the reappearance of the Legion of Superheroes.

However, the truly BIG news was not mentioned at the panel. The Legion of Superheroes appearance on JLU is no coincidence, and I've been told by reliable sources that a Legion of Superheroes animated series is set to go into production immediately after the completion of JLU. And most of JLU’s creative team will be moving over to the new LoSH series, with one major exception… Bruce Timm. The new LoSH series is being spearheaded by Sam Register, the Vice President of Cartoon Network. Rumor has it that Register feels Timm’s work is “tired and dated” and that the new LoSH series will be done in more of a Teen Titans style of animation rather than the classic Timm style.

There’s more… To further separate the two franchises, a major plot element from JLU is being ignored. In the new season, a JLU member will join the LoSH and stay in the future. But that character will not be appearing in the LoSH series. Instead, another DC “silver age” character will appear regularly. Additionally, there’s talk that Register will not renew Timm’s contract when it expires next year. Why? Well, from what I’ve heard Register is more concerned with creating his own legacy of shows… that he wants to be regarded in the same way as William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. The fact that most of you have no idea who he is should tell you how successful that’s been.

There's good and bad. I like the fact that we'll get Hawkman and more characcters, but I just don't know about this Legion show. I do like Teen Titans, but I hate to see the go to that style exclusivly. I'm betting the "silver age" member of the Legion will be Superboy. He was originally in the Legion and with the Superman movie out next year, having Superboy would be a way to still have the character on an animated show.
  07-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Verified Member

This sounds like nothing but a big time ego trip and WB making a stupid mistake. I like Teen Titans as well but there is a reason we are talking and salivating about shows like BTAS, Batman Beyond almost 5-10 years after they left the air

Its just like The Batman, while I like it there is no way its in the same league as something like Justice League or Batman the Animated Series, it never will be, the characters just are not deep enough or "real" enough to survive outside the younger age group its designed for, you could see that in the Catwoman/Batman romance angle they had this past weekend, it was nothing compared to the Hawkgirl/Jon Stewart or ever Question/Huntress, Black Canaray/Green Arrow stories that seem almost real.

This guy is a hack and its obvious by the crap they sling on that network now vs programs they used to have. I have always felt CN is a shadow of what it once was which is why Boomerang is MUCH more popular amongh cartoon entushiasts, only reason half the people watch CN is for Adult Swim, the other half watch it for the preschool shows but there is no real original content for people who are around 8-15. There is a reason ABC family is hitting higher ratings and its because they are slowly adopting more and more cartoons that appeal to a younger demographic but have storylines that are good enough for us 20-30 year olds to say wow thats a good show (WITCH is a prime example)

I will give this new show a chance but it has one hell of a pair of shoes to fill if it is straying from the Timm/Dini created universe and writing/animating style
  07-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Verified Member

WOW! Mark, you summed that up perfectly. I don't think I could have said anyhing quite as perfect. 100% agree.

I watch CN for Adult Swim, Krypto, and of course Titans and JLU. With the exception of a few shows (Duck Dodgers, Samurai Jack, Juniper Lee) the shows are all very similar in style and tone.

They guy that provided the above information threw out the comment, maybe Marvel will pick up Timm and let him run amok in the Marvel U.
  07-20-2005, 01:09 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 224 posts since Jun 2005
GAH! I hate it, blah, I enjoy Timm's style, although not many people do, and so I guess that's the death of that. CN is only for Toonami/Adult Swim. And really, Toonami has turned into crap itself anyway. I think Nick, is getting the higher ups because of it's Fairly Oddparents show and other kid shows that tweens watch.
  07-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Man, I don't know what to think-Teen Titan style. I don't see a lot of the characters making that kind of transition.
  07-20-2005, 06:32 AM

Probably Hawkman as the "silver age" character.
  07-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Great now we'll lose Bruce Timm. That sucks ***.

I swear, crappy animation has become an American artform.
Bruce Timm's animation is the last good one. I'm hoping Fantastic Four will be cool.
  07-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Verified Member

The Legion of Doom line up has been revealed and it's quite massive. Look at the end of the tect for a few new guest stars (Can't wait to see the Outsiders).

Information about the next season of Justice League Unlimited has been dropping at an accelerated pace recently. Action Figure Insider has identified most of the Legion of Doom roster: “Lex Luthor, Gorilla Grodd, the Key, Dr. Destiny, Evil Star, Cheetah, Black Manta, Bizarro, Parasite, Giganta, Silver Banshee, Kanjar-Ro, Blockbuster, Dr. Polaris, Livewire, Clock King, KGBeast, Sinestro, Gentleman Ghost, Copperhead, Black Mass, Toyman, Metallo, Star Sapphire, Rampage and some unconfirmed.” In addition to the previously mentioned appearances by Warlord, Hawkman and the Legion of Superheroes, other DCU characters slated to show up include a few of the Outsiders, Deadman and the Seven Soldiers of Victory.

Also, there’s been a report that the season finale (and possible series finale) will deal with the “source wall”, which as DCU fans are well aware, usually entails the New Gods… and Darkseid.
  08-01-2005, 12:30 AM

If there is supposed to be an animation style shift, I have to also wonder in there will be a voice actor changeout too. That would not be very good.
  08-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Verified Member

No animation style shift in JLU.

The style shift will be to Legion of Super Heroes. It will resemble Teen Titans.
  08-01-2005, 05:40 AM

So let me try to understand this....

Alright, JL was either 2 or 3 seasons, depending on who you talk to, for 52 total episodes.

JLU is a whole new show, 2 seasons so far, with 26 episodes. Does this mean JLU gets a third season and then it's ka-putt? I guess new JLU starts late fall or in the spring?

After JLU is over, the Legion of Super Heroes starts up to take its place? So LSH is like a year or more away?

Is that it?
  08-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Verified Member

Well to say JLU is a whole new show is pushing it, same characters, storyline and writers, just shorter for stupid reasons, but yes JLU gets another season then most likely ka-putt, especially if Timm is gone.

Teen Titans has been rumored to continue past Season 5 but all signs are pointing to the end of the Timm/Dini DCAU as we know it for now (BTAS,Superman,Batman Beyond,JL,JLU), as far as I can see it will only continue as past shows have in direct to movie format.

LSH will then start probably in Spring or Summer of 2006, most likely closer to the Superman movie release, I would say we will see art for that show closer to the spring rollout of new shows.

Sadly I think we need to enjoy JLU while it lasts and knowing CN it will take them 1 whole year to roll out 13 episodes so we will be stuck in re-run hell
  08-01-2005, 08:05 AM

Well, there was a lot of overlap in the Scooby Doo shows and Superfriends shows, in terms of voice and writing talent, producers, etc ... but they're often regarded as different shows.
  08-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Verified Member

That's right, JLU is probably only around for one more season and then it's over. About a year later we'll get a Legion of Super Heroes show, similar in style to Teen Titans.

In JLU Season 3 - a member of the team will leave and join the Legion.

However...that member WILL NOT be on the LSH show. Another DC Silver Age character will make appearances on the show. My money is still on Superboy. He was the only "classic" DC Silver Age character that was actually a part of the Legion.