Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime

07-21-2005, 06:34 AM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
I know, I know. They both are good, but I wanted to ask this question in 3 parts. Who has the better comics? Cartoons/Tv Series? and Movies?

Comics - (Marvel) I grew up reading Marvel comics due to Xmen and Spiderman.

Cartoons/Tv Series - (DC) Bruce Timm's Toons are really good and Justice League sets the standard for Superhero cartoons.

Movies - (Marvel) It seems like every Marvel character is getting a movie nowadays, while DC continues to cling on to Superman and Batman.

Let me know what you think?

Raman
  07-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Marvel comics 60s/90s/2000s
Marvel toys 80s/90s
DC toys 80s
Marvel toons 60s/80s/90s
DC toons 60s/90s/2000s
  07-21-2005, 07:04 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
Marvel comics' characters and stories seem to be bright and busy, and imo, seem to focus more on the art/visual side. While DC comics' characters and stories seem to be dark and more story driven.

As far as the cartoons go, it all depends on what age group you're talking about. As with above, its how it all transfers from the comics to the cartoons. A young child would probably find marvel cartoons more appealing, due to the, jazz/action of the show, while someone older might find DC's cartoons better, due to the stories.
Take the Avengers cartoon for example, it was a good cartoon, full of action, but the character roster blew chunks, it would have been more interesting to have had the original founding members, and would have set itself up for better stories with those characters. DC's cartoons tend to be a bit more serious, with the exception of the older cartoons, ie; Superfriends, Superman, Batman, Flash

As for the movies, it depends on the director and the budget for the film. Whether they're just throwing out a comic movie or putting their heart into it. It doesn't take much to figure out which ones in particular.

But as for all of it, it really boils down to how well its written, I mean the characters can only do what the writers have written for them to do. That and the fact its each owns personal opinion.
  07-21-2005, 07:53 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
Thats pretty hard for me to decide, as i am a fan of both DC & Marvel. I grew up reading what comics i could get my hand on for DC & Marvel.

Comics- Its a draw, i can't choose one over the over as they both keep my interest.

Cartoons/TV shows- Depends on the show and how it portrays the character. Same as above i have enjoyed both done by DC & Marvel and can't really choose between the two. Draw again.

Movies: Well each of them have had their hits and misses. If i had to run it overall by the films they have done, i would say Marvel wins my vote.
  07-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
I would say DC, thats what i grew up watching every sat. on ABC.
  07-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 224 posts since Jun 2005
Well...you'll have to make your choice when you pick the PlayStation 3 or the Xbox 360, if you play MMORPGs Xbox and Marvel teamed up, and PlayStation picked up rights to DC.
  07-21-2005, 08:29 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 77 posts since Jun 2005
Marvel - They have a larger array of poular charcters, all who have a huge history beyond that off any dc charcter.

However, I do say that 'Batman' is the best superhero ever.

The Films - DC Films are superior to all Marvel films to date. Even the campy Batman Forever and Batman and Robin had decent sfx.
Spiderman was okay, but dragged on a little, and the green goblin costume was a joke. Eleckra and Hulk were awful, X-men were okay, but lacked decent effects and big fighting scenes. The fighst were also all one-on-one fights, and the x-men are a team on team fight. We did'nt see any of that.

ku7uk
  07-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I prefer Marvel Comics. I especially love the 70's bronze age. I have every Ghost Rider comic through 1983.

Nowdays I prefer the DC cartoons over the Marvel cartoons.

Bobby
  07-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Don't they now consider 1970s-1980s the bronze age?
And the modern age started in the 1990s?