07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I could never really get into UFC or MMA.
But this new Strikeforce isn't bad. I've caught several matches so far.

Anybody else liking it?
  07-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
really? if you watch strike force you might as well watch ufc. its not like it used to be years ago. strikeforce is like the has bins of UFC mostly. I watch it but prefer the UFC. I think u need to watch some new ones to see for yourself.
  07-15-2010, 10:02 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 179 posts since Sep 2007
Send a message via AIM to tvlover33
I slightly prefer UFC, but Strikeforce had Fedor, who many consider to be the best all around mixed martial artist of all time. I kind of lean towards Anderson Silva, but I still love watching Fedor too, although I found out about him much later, when he fought in those 2 Affliction PPVs, which is where he got that heavyweight title he has from WAMMA. Dream is considered to be the best promotion with the toughest fighters or ones with best technique, based out of Japan, like Pride used to be years ago. In fact, from what I've heard hardcore MMA fans often looked forward to Pride events a lot more than a UFC show. Kind of like wrestling, where back in the day WWF was more popular, but fans thought most of the better actual wrestlers came from NWA or even AWA, until most of them left for WWF, of course. Like now, even though WWE is the bigger promotion, a lot of hardcore fans seem to prefer TNA, because they think the better technical wrestlers/workers are over there. Even though wrestling or sports entertainment isn't real competition, MMA or mixed martial arts is sometimes promoted the same way, but I prefer the smack talk to be followed up by some real butt kicking these days to the fake, staged stuff.
  07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
I never seen Dream before. I loved watching k1 and the old Pride because the rules seemed more realistic and the refs were more lenient. There were no cheap wins because they wouldn't rush in and stop a match once a person gets knocked down.

UFC is getting to be more like WWE every day. Pride is definately more serious like real fights should be.

I still feel that Boxing from 1970-2000 beats MMA any day especially those 15 rounders and matches that can only end by knockout.
  07-15-2010, 11:05 PM

Verified Member

Interesting you mention the UFC getting to be more like WWE. I read an article online recently where Fedor Emilianenko said that was one of the reasons he opted to sign with Strikeforce instead of UFC. That and they pay their fighters chump change compared to the huge dough they rake in every year. Only their champions seem to make 7 figures for a fight. Other guys make like 40 or 50 grand. Didn't Dana White try to claim he offered more money than he did or claim that Fedor couldn't handle the higher level of competition in the UFC or something? Then they try to give fighters a bonus sometimes for winning or fight of the night, KO of the night or submission of the night and think that makes it okay.
  07-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Yeah, UFC seems to have a lot of drama and several celebutards.
To me, Strikeforce reminds me of "fight night" from the 1950s, instead of WWF of the 90s. It's BS-free.
Even modern boxing has too much BS compared to the 50s.

Think Fred and Ricky watching the fights on TV.
  07-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Verified Member

What's Fight Night? Is that what they used to call boxing or wrestling on TV in the '50s? The UFC actually has a show called Fight Night. That and UFC Live are on basic cable rather than pay per view, like their regular shows.

And for the record MMA is the sport of mixed martial arts. The UFC, Strikeforce and Dream are organizations or promotions within that sport.

It would be cool if they could actually start cross promoting and have like UFC guys fighting guys from Strikeforce and Dream or any combination of those. Then we could get fights like Brock vs. Fedor, Carwin vs. Overeem, Anderson Silva against some top middleweight or light heavyweight outside of the UFC, instead of just waiting for guys to sign with that same company to make those fights happen.

It sucks they still aren't allowing any MMA events in the state of New York. There's been so much boxing in the state and the city especially, most recent big one being Miguel Cotto's TKO win at Yankee Stadium over Yuri Foreman, which I thought was a good fight, I like Cotto. They should allow MMA cards too already, I don't know what the hold up is and why all that potential revenue keeps getting turned down.

Yeah and I can't stand the BS of modern boxing either. What the hell is wrong with Mayweather? The only reason why he came up with this Olympic Style Testing stipulation was he wanted some kind of psychological edge over Manny Pacquiao and then, when he agrees to it, now he has a problem with the money being paid for the fight. With all these belts boxing has and all the money involved, it's too easy to have a career that's financially successful and one that looks good, while avoiding several of the best fighters in their weight class. Boxing is supposed to be about being the best and fighting and beating the best to become the best in one's weight class or even be considered the best poind for pound. Guys like Mayweather, Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins and others haven't always done that, even though they're very talented. Even Sugar Ray Leonard I lost a little respect for when I found out that he fought Marvin Hagler later in his career when he was past his prime and ready to retire in 1987, rather than back in 1984, when the fight should've happened. In fact, he only came back in 1987 because he knew that at that point he could beat him. Even against Duran the second time, he caught him in between Duran's yo yo dieting and psyched him out. I don't deny Leonard's talent either though. It's just, the idea is a boxer or fighter (which I call MMA guys now, because they use all styles, not just boxing) is supposed to want to face the best at their best, not try and catch them in a weak moment or time in their life. That's the kind of crap you should only see bad guy (heel) wrestlers pulling off.

Last edited by tvlover33; 07-17-2010 at 03:19 PM.