Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

10-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
At my work, in like every room, they have projectors they have hooked up to the main comp, and works with dvd player also.. It makes a huge image on the wall, they also showed the saturday night boxing on it... its so awesome I'm interested in buying one for my own entertainment.. Curious whut the best priced ones were, best place to buy and the inputs, like computer, and also dvd player Thx
  10-06-2005, 02:32 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
actually, I looked... I like this one, and acer has always been great product for me...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009041
  10-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 571 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to GreenRanger1
Projectors are generally really cool, but they are expensive. You dont just have the initial cost. After you purchase the projector, you must buy a new bulb after so many hours of use because they burn out. These can ranger from a couple hundred to five or six hundred. My advice would be to be aware of the cost prior to buying one. The screens for the projectors are not dirt cheap either. If you have the money though, they are very nice.
  10-07-2005, 12:32 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Newegg sells Elite 100" 16:9 screens for $100 (I have one ). I have a Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector. They are now discontinued, but it was only $1200 brand new. You can get them now off ebay for like $500 ( or cheaper,I haven't looked in a while). Most bulbs get about 2000 hours give or take, some more, some less. Works real nice with a HTPC, don't have to purchase line doublers, tiplers etc. Everything is controlled by the PC. Depends on what you want and what your willing to spend. Just make sure that you spec one out with the proper lumens to match the ambient light level in the area you are going to use it in. In my home theater, I have 100% control over lighting. I can make it pitch black as there are no windows at all. So I can get away with a lower lumen projector. If the room you are using has windows and it is harder to control lights, you will need more power. Also take into consideration the throw distance of the projector and take into consideration the smallest image the projector can produce. This is necessary so you can calculate where to put the screen and whether or not it will fit in the area you are going to use. Projector mounts are usually $100 or more, so add that to your budget as well. Sitting a projector on the ground is not generally a good idea, but it can be done. Remember that the whole setup is only as good as the weakest link, so don't cheap out on cables. They can get costly, but if you go with crappy ones, you will get crappy results. Be prepared to spend at least $1.00 per foot for video cable (and that is the lowest level in acceptable cables). Composite, S-Video, Component, RGB etc. are all types you will want to run. Even with all these costs and the cost of the HTPC, I'm still under what my brother paid for his 32" Plasma Television