Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

01-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 862 posts since Jun 2005
does anyone happen to know what the best dvd copying software is i read dvd cloner3 is the best but do not want to go out and spend 50 to 60 dollars if it doesn't even remove the current copy protections that are on dvds today any ideas or thoughts would help
  01-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
If you dont need to shrink I would just use DVD Decrypter, its free and you can read the disc to the hard drive as an ISO and then burn it back to a new disc
  01-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 862 posts since Jun 2005
see i tried doing that what do you use the load the dvd data up again because what i normally do is use decrypter and then load it up in shrink and it works most of the time and what do you mean by loading it up with ISO i don't really know much what can all be done with decrypter
  01-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Agreed, DVd Decryptor is all I use now days. It's the fastest, CopytoDVD isn't bad for hard discs.
  01-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
If you do not need to shrink it (meaning if the disc is already 4.4gb or under) then you can just use DVD Decrypter to make a disc image and then burn that disc image to a new disc

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/.../decrypter.htm

That guide should show it all, if the disc is already 4.4 of under you should never be using Shrink at all because the disc is already "shrunk". By saving the disc as ISO and then burning it again as ISO you will get a perfect copy of the disc using the free software.

If you need to shrink the disc then you will need another program because taking the ISO and using Shrink will result in a VIDEO_TS folder which DVD Decrypter cannot burn and you will need something like Nero or RecordNow
  01-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
If you use DVD Shrink to copy a disc, and it does not need to be shrunk, it can ruin the data. I'm having to go over that with a newer trader right now. DVD Shrink is not copying software, it's a transcoder that reads video data. You do not want to use a transcoder to simply copy a DVD.

Only use DVD Shink on commercial discs that are too big, and you're making yourself a copy from the original. DVD Shrink uses DVD Decrypter or Nero to actually burn the data when it is done shrinking it.

You cannot "shrink" homemade discs without entirely destroying it's quality. Either use a DL disc, or fix your errors that made your SL project too large.

I use RecordNow Max to copy discs. I have a DVD-ROM to read the disc, and at the same time a DVD burner writes a new one. The drives are on different IDE cables (opposite channels). I copy at 4x or 8x.

I also use DVD Decrypter to read an ISO in the burner, then insert a blank, and write that ISO. This is for harder to read source discs, or if I copy something commercial (usually discs I borrow from my sister).