Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

02-27-2006, 01:44 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
My grandparents have some dvds they'd like to make copies/backups of... They have a grand kid that comes over often, he likes to watch movies, and take some home sometimes.. They mentioned they'd like to make copies and let him take those home instead of their only ones.. Is there some software out there that can copy a dvd 1:1 even if its protected, but decrypt it for them? and possibly shrink if needed... basicaly, put in a dvd, and a blank. Click copy and it runs thru everything? quality doesn't have to matter.. as long as its not like lego blocks lol... But I don't wanna have to try and teach them, dvd shrink, decryptor and all that.. just an all in one 1:1 copy program.. Thx
  02-27-2006, 01:58 PM

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
DVD2One2 does a great job of compressing and now as a write program in it, but you will need to get encyption software like DVd43 or anyDVD.
  02-27-2006, 02:05 PM

still too much for them to comprehend on that.. i'll check tho.. thx
  02-27-2006, 02:07 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 is a great combo for those situations. AnyDVD runs in the background and removes the encryption (and is updated often) and CloneDVD2 does all the ripping and burning with just a few clicks. It's a combo of software worth paying for IMO.
  02-27-2006, 02:09 PM

Does it auto run for them when they click copy? Or do they have to run 2 differ programs?
  02-27-2006, 02:10 PM

Verified Member

you install AnyDVD once and then it just sits in the taskbar...they won't need to do anything...it is there all the time even after a reboot.
  02-27-2006, 02:11 PM

Awesome, so basically, it will be a one click copy for them once I get this for them... I'll check it out
  02-27-2006, 02:15 PM

Verified Member

If you have 2 drives it works great, just plop the disk on one, the blank in the other and with a few clicks they will be on thier way. If they only have 1 drive when the files are ripped to the HD the tray opens and waits for the blank. It rips, compresses and burns all with a few clicks.
  02-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
As far as I'm concerned, if they can only comprehend 1 click worth of computer time, they probably should not even bother trying. Seriously, and I'm not trying to be mean.

Even my retired mother knows how to rip a DVD in DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0, and then how to shrink (if needed) in DVD Shrink 3.2. I gave her instructions, printed them out. Even gave her a burner and bought her a 50-spindle of good discs. She's doing a fine job, copied a whole 5 discs so far this year.

02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Just show them how to use shrink. Once they see it's nothing complicated.
They'll be fine. It's a mental block. They see technology and cringe...
Remove the fear lol ! I ve shown 55 yr old men & women how to use shrink. For the very same purpose as your grandparents. You may have remove their hands away from their eyes. :P

They 'll get it

02-27-2006, 04:03 PM

I'm sure they could do it.. They run around online better than most.. But I don't even wanna go into it with them.. They just want something simple. My mom even forgets the steps needed on the computer to do certain things, and I don't want them to doubt it.. thats why I asked for 1 click setup
  02-27-2006, 06:08 PM

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD is made by the same company. I believe they give you a two or three week trial. So download it and let them try. I've tried CloneDVD2 and it is not bad.