03-20-2006, 01:30 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
Ok I am in the market to get a new dvd recorder a standalone set-top model similar to my Panasonic but with better video quality. I want one with a HDD atleast a 80 gig hard drive.

I want to spend $500 or less. I was looking into Dual Layer DVD recorders Pioneer made one, but I cannot find a shop with them in-stock anymore

Any ideas?? Would a dual layer dvd recorder be worth getting what with dual layer dvds running fairly high still and single layers being so cheap.

I also want one with each editing options similar to the panasonic.

thanks,

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  03-20-2006, 04:43 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
Personally I don't think that there is a necessity for DL. It is only in +R format and my personal experience with this format has not been good. I can however vouch for the quality of Pioneers. I have the Pioneer DVR-233-S and I can tell you the quality is top notch. Usually when I record TV, I record programs at the best possible quality and then remove commercials and re-encode so that I can fit 3 hours of TV onto a single disk. I recently started recording in SP mode just to see how it looks...there is no difference, I was really expecting SOME loss of quality but there is none, no pixilation, nothing. I was pleasantly suprised to say the least. I know LS touts the JVC, that was my initial plan, but at the time they were 300+ and the pioneer was only 198 AND the local at Wal-mart.

Pioneer is a good choice, I have though about getting another one, but If I can find a JVC for 169 like LS posted earlier I may take a SERIOUS look at it. GL!
  03-21-2006, 04:08 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Actually, DL is available in both +R and -R format. I haven't tried either of them yet although all of my burners are DL capable.
  03-21-2006, 04:18 AM

Verified Member

Yup Pioneer made a Dual Layer DVD recorder that recorded to DVD-Rdl, but the site I was going to use sold out of them. Then I thought with the still very expensive cost in DL media and the low cost of single layer, that I would stick with single. So I just need a good DVD recorder with a HDD 80 gig or above with easy editing features.

Brent

03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
dang Brent. You spend money more than 2.00 hooker on a 10.00 shopping spree lol. ( J/K)

Since your so free with your money. You can buy me some hardware too LMAO! :P

03-23-2006, 04:31 AM

Verified Member

LOL CP.

I am curently thinking of this model: JVC DR-MH50EK DVD Recorder but cannot find a US seller or a price on it. But before I buy it I need to find out how the editing features are And yes I know I can just do it on the PC. But I dont know how to plus I dont have the programs so I do it on the HDD of whatever recorder I have

Plus I am pretty sure this model is out of my price range and records to PAL if I got it from the UK

Brent

03-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Verified Member

BUMP for help