Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

07-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 283 posts since Jun 2005
I got two tapes with 5 hrs of programing. I have a jvc S-vhs 3912u and a cheap sony vcr, and I get better picture quality using the sony vcr. is this normal for jvc vcrs playing Ep Tapes?
  07-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
it depends, the SVHS could be "over-filtering" the tape. Try changing the SVHS settings (there should be an area in the menu to change SOFT/SHARP/EDIT/NORM)

Start on NORM and see how it is, then go through the other 3 and see if it gets any better.

But it just may be you have to use the Sony VCR, I have had to use my OLD Magnavox VHS to play some tapes in the past because they just did not play well in the SVHS and I know LS has the same setups where he has to use old VCR's occasionally.
  07-25-2006, 01:55 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 283 posts since Jun 2005
I just tried those settings and no luck. I am going to use to Sony to transfer the tapes.for ep tapes is the panasonic a better vcr?
  07-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
JVC should give better image quality, hands down.

But not all tapes want to track correctly in all machines. Most of the time, the recording deck as misaligned, and made a bad tape. Sometimes the players VCR is the one out of alignment. The VCR can be adjusted, a tape cannot.