07-06-2005, 11:17 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 48 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to Nannyfan
I received a set of Sabrina, the Teenage Witch on 18 dvds and it's a mess. At least 2 of the dvds are "multi-session" discs (they look like they were made like a cd) - what causes this? Is this just a product of someone copying vcds to dvd incorrectly? I'm trying to figure out what to do about this trade. I received the set on Memorex dvds and I thought that was the problem with some of the other dvds with errors until I came across some multi-session dvds. I'm wondering (and, it looks like) this trader knowingly sent me some bad dvds. Prior to my discovering the problems dvds, he asked me to add him to the good trader list on sitcomsonline. I told him he would have to make good on the bad discs before I did that.

thanks!
Nannyfan
  07-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
Forgive my ignorance, but what's a "multi-session" disc?
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  07-06-2005, 02:56 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 48 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to Nannyfan
Well, the best I can figure out is it is like a cd is recorded - in tracks. You know how when you copy a dvd, it copies the title track and then it copies the rest of the dvd - and a cd copies in tracks. That is what 2 of the dvds out of the 17-dvd set of Sabrina is doing. I didn't know a dvd could be recorded that way - that's what I'd like to find out more about from someone who does a lot of video/dvd editing/creating. Any ideas??

thanks!
  07-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Multi-session was something created for CD and not DVD, although lots of software allows it anyway. When you burn a CD, you write the lead-in, the data, then the lead-out and TOC (table of contents). On a DVD, you write the lead-in/TOC, the data, then the lead-out. Notice the TOC is moved and merged, and is why it doesn't work well on DVD. Making a multi-sesson means you write a sesson and then leave the disc OPEN. On a DVD, it means also writing multiple lead-in/TOCs, not good. The CD just kept writing a new TOC and the spec is built so it will read the last known TOC on the disc. It is closed later, if at all, usually after writing more sessions.

Anyway, most ROM drives cannot read multi-session discs (usually just burners). DVD-Video requires a single DAO/TAO session, and it must be CLOSED with lead-out. So no DVD player will see a disc unless it is closed.

Anyway, you are correct, it's a mess. The person is totally clueless and needs to quit playing around, and go read some video guides on some sites, on how to do things correctly. I would not send them squat.

I would also appreciate it if you PM'd me the name of who did this. Their are a LOT of unusual newbies flocking to sitcoms right now, and I have no intention on letting any of them in to CPS at this point (some have applied here). Too many oddities.