TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Record TV: Video Tech Support (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/video-tech/)
-   -   Video Cut Off On TV?? (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/video-tech/6481-video-cut-off.html)

konfusion 07-18-2007 06:52 AM

Video Cut Off On TV??

My TV keeps cutting off part of the videos either on the sides or on top. I think its an overscan or something with the video. but say something like the JETIX logo. all i will get is ETIX the J gets cut an parts of the bottom. Can someone tell me a good video size to get this from not happening or some type of bar i can put around the video?

lordsmurf 07-18-2007 09:18 AM

Overscan issues. Your video was cropped improperly, and was probably a downloaded file converted to DVD poorly. It has to be padded and re-encoded.

konfusion 07-18-2007 10:04 AM

actually i was testing a dvd set i got from someone else and changing it from pal to ntsc but i made the retarded mistake when i changed it. My tv cuts off a lot anyways and even normal tv cuts off a lot. i was just wondering if there was a way to make a dvd that doesnt cut off at all.

lordsmurf 07-18-2007 10:37 AM

Yes, re-encode it with padding. But it'll show "edges" on other tv sets. That may not be good. I would not make a DVD specific to a tv. Some DVD players play PAL with a bad aspect too. This is one reason I like LSI chipset recorders (LiteOn, JVC) so much for playing PAL DVDs, as they respect the aspect ratio.

bigk181 02-02-2009 03:17 AM

I've had this same problem when trying to burn downloaded video, so that I don't have to watch it on my computer. How do I pad the video so that it will show up completely on the tv screen without any problems? I use Ulead DVD Workshop 2. If it matters, I also have Ulead VideoStudio 11, mpeg-vcr, SUPER, and DVD Decrypter.

konfusion 02-02-2009 03:47 AM

dont have these problems anymore

bigk181 02-02-2009 09:03 AM

How did you fix the problem? That's what I want to know because I'm having that same problem.

konfusion 02-02-2009 10:21 AM

got an hdtv lol. or i dunno what i did used tmpeg plus 2.5

lordsmurf 02-02-2009 09:56 PM

You need an encoder. MainConcept 1.5 is what I would use, or TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 as second choice (not as good as MC).

I have an HDTV too, and a Philips 3575 player (plays MPEG-4/Divx/Xvid). My mom has a Philips 5900-series player from Walmart, and it does quite nicely. It respects MPEG-4 aspect ratio, from what I understand. So go buy one of those, see how it does.

bigk181 06-12-2009 04:05 PM

I got a DVD in trade that didn't have a menu on it. I wanted to make a menu for it, so I ripped all the episodes from the disc using DVD Decrypter and converted them to MPEG-2 using mpeg-vcr. After creating a menu and loading it into Ulead DVD Workshop 2, I burned the project to a DVD-RW at high quality. I checked the disc and I noticed that the edges were cut off. It's most noticeable on the shows logo since part of one of the letters is off screen. I played it on an HDTV as well and the screen wasn't cut off. I tried burning the project at standard play but that didn't fix the problem. All that did was lower the video data rate. I checked the source DVD and it has the same problem.

I would like to fix this problem so that it can be played on a standard TV without a problem, just as well as it can play on an HDTV. I would rather not have to put padding on it.

lordsmurf 06-13-2009 02:13 AM

What does this mean?

Quote:

I burned the project to a DVD-RW at high quality
What is "high quality" coming from?

This was a bit mistake, the quality of a Womble encode is pure garbage:

Quote:

converted them to MPEG-2 using mpeg-vcr
Or maybe you meant you re-edited the clips to an MPEG from a VOB? If so, then you didn't actually convert anything. All it did was remove VOB extension. You can do this with a rename. Womble would have choked on complex VOB, where a rename is impossible (pro releases use complex VOBs, homemade uses simple VOBs most of the time and can be renamed).

Womble MPEG-VCR and MPEG Video Wizard are great editors -- never re-encode your clips in it, however!!!

An HDTV auto-crops to a lesser overscan. Some older TV's really overscan a lot, sometimes as much as 10% of the image. So you have likely observed this.

The only way to fix this is to re-encode it. Whatever disc you have was likely made by some idiot that took an XVID download that was cropped by yet another idiot, and made it into a DVD without any regard to the overscan required by television viewing areas.

This is why so many anime fans have "bad DVDs" from fansubbers, as the subbers did all the work on a computer, and have minimal to zero knowledge about the video/television broadcast process. You must always fix their mistakes, if you want to create DVDs from their butchered sources. You must un-butcher it by padding out the stream. It gets more complex if they hooked up a computer to a DVD recorder, and turned the signal interlaced, then you have a double problem, and it's never going to be as perfect as if it had been done correctly in the first place. All-around sad.

bigk181 06-13-2009 04:31 PM

I use Ulead DVD Workshop 2 to make my DVDs. There are several different quality options when burning to DVD. I would only consider using 3 of them.

High Quality (Approx. 60 min per DVD)
MPEG files
24 Bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
(DVD-NTSC), 4:3
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 8000 kbps)
LPCM Audio, 48 KHz, Stereo

Good Quality (Approx. 90 min per DVD)
MPEG files
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 4000 kbps)

Standard Play (Approx. 120 min per DVD)
MPEG files
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 2500 kbps)

Now about converting them. I ripped the episodes from the source disc using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode. This puts the episodes on my computer as a VOB file. I then opened the VOB files using MPEG-VCR and save them as MPEG2 files.

Curtis recommended these programs. That's why I use them.

bigk181 06-13-2009 09:17 PM

The standard TV that I checked the disc on is at least 13 years old. I tried the disc on a newer standard LCD TV and there wasn't an overscan issue. Apparently, the problem is with the TV, not the DVD.