Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

11-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
suddenly i get copy prohibited cannot record on my jvc drm150. it records some things, then throws up that message.

the jvc is connected directly to my sky box, scart to scart.

is it just "noise" that fools the jvc into thinking there is some sort of macrovision protection?

is my jvc old?

or the dvd-rw discs at breaking point?

any ideas people?
  11-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
There are always reports out there that some SKY boxes pass Macrovision. Generally the JVC copy protection error message is legitimate, and it means the signal is dirty in some way, be it a real video error, or the artificial one generated by an anti-copy algorithm.

11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
any cheap way of bypassing the noise or macrovision signal?
or when my jvc dies, another dvd recorder that is good in terms of recording quality and also ignores macrovision?
  11-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Most all recorders respect an anti-copy noise pattern. So another machine won't help. Hopefully your JVC will not die, I've had mine for years of service and hope to have it for many more.

The only foolproof way is to buy a timebase corrector for about $200, but there are some "clarifier" type devices out there which block out maybe 80% of anti-copy, and cost about $75-100 instead of the $200. Half price, but with reduced performance.