Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

12-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 179 posts since Sep 2007
Send a message via AIM to tvlover33
The old video game system topic by jtmovies91 got me thinking, what's everyone's favorite video games or favorite series? And do you guys prefer old school, newer games or both? Console or PC? I've pretty much been a console guy since the Atari 2600 days. I played the newest stuff for years until about the mid '90s, then stuck with Nintendo and Super Nintendo, some Genesis at a friend's house, until my sister's boyfriend at the time was playing Resident Evil for Playstation. That got me into newer games again, until recently. After finishing Resident Evil 5 and getting all the achievements (or trophys as PS3 calls them), I'm done with newer games again, for the most part. I'll still check out the gaming magazines and websites to see if there's a newer game I might want to play (mostly made by Capcom or Rockstar), but they just take too damn long IMO.

In the old days, I was into sidescrollers or sidescrolling brawlers and top down shooters like Ikari Warriors, Double Dragon, Crime Fighters, Vendetta and Final Fight. I don't go to arcades anymore, since they don't seem to have those games there anymore. They don't seem to be making any new ones or stock any old ones. So these days, I'll be mostly playing old arcade games on a modded console with an arcade emulator disc with all the old games I grew up with and loved and that'll be fine for me. The thing I liked about them was not only were they fun, but you could finish them in an hour or less. Now it takes several hours just to make a little progress, too time consuming. It takes a real stickler to cover all there is to do in a game now, a real OCD case to play most modern games.

My favorite was Vendetta, put out by Konami. It had some kind of street fighter guy with a mohawk I think, a boxer, wreslter and martial arts guy. You played as one of those 4 characters and had to fight through a bunch of levels to save some woman. I think she's supposed to be a friend of the 4 guys, plus you're cleaning up the neighborhood, like in most of these action games in an urban setting. After beating the final level and boss, there was one more bonus level where you took on all the boss characters one more time and then you truly beat the game. Konami did the same thing with Crime Fighters, in fact it was so similar to the earlier Crime Fighters, that's Vendeatta was also known as Crime Fighters 2. I think in CF, you played as some generic guy taking out some street thugs and gangsters until you got to the end and, like in Vendetta, had to fight this last boss battle against some guy with a gun (took a lot of continues for me to beat and a lot of other players). I think in CF you rescued a bunch of women from presumably being sold into prostitution. The difference with Crime Fighters though was the last bonus level had all the bosses on the screen at the same time, except for the gun guy thankfully, but all the others were there, along with the mini bosses. Ah memories.

So what was everyone's favorite old school game here or favorite game of all-time from then or now in the arcades? What about favorite game to play at home, whether you're a console or PC gamer?
  12-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
- Street Fighter II / 2 and all variations thereof (Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs SF, SF 3, etc)
- Mortal Kombat 1-3
- Mario Kart, from the original on the SNES, to current. Current one on Wii is favorite, but I use a controller or nunchuck, not the steering wheel / remote mess. I'll be in a ditch in mere seconds driving without a controller. Second favorite is N64 version, and I have it emulated on my XBOX.
- 2D Mario brothers games, especially Super Mario Brothers 1-3, World and SMB Wii.

I've never been a RPG/storytelling game type of fan, aside from the original Zelda and Dragon Warrior games on NES. Those were fun. The old 256/386-era computer Sierra games were not bad either (Police Quest, Space Quest, King's Quest).

In fact, as far as computer games go, I really miss the Commander Keen series from the early 90s. Those "3D dungeon" games like Doom, and every POS clone since then, largely killed what used to be a fun genre of computer gaming. Much of that ports over to consoles too, since the 64-bit days. I forget the name of that popular XBOX game where people kill each other -- so stupid. It was done with the 007 series on N64.
  12-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Verified Member

Cool. I think I only ever beat Street Fighter 2 original and maybe Champion Edition and the original Mortal Kombat. Although I've been able to beat the sequels on the emulator and the disc they put out for PS2 that had MK2 and KM3 on it.

So you don't play any sandbox/open world type games like GTA or The Godfather?
  12-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
atari st - dungeon master.
arcades - r-type, operation wolf, 1941 & variations.
pc games - commandos, homeworld, starcraft, warcraft, freespace + freespace 2.

all great fun to play.
  12-18-2010, 08:29 PM

Verified Member

You ever beat Operation Wolf? I never did, but I know it was released on one of those PS2 compilation discs, so I'll probably pick that disc up and give the game another try. The thing I didn't like about it was if you died, you started all over at the beginning of the stage, unlike almost every other arcade game, where you continued right from where you left off. They fixed this problem with the sequel though Operation Thunderbolt. The only thing about that game was you had to make sure to kill the terrorist at the end when he popped out from behind the pilot, or else if the pilot died, you lost the game. I beat it the second time I played it, but the first time I was like WTF, I put in all those quarters to continue for nothing? The same thing happened to me a few years back with that Target: Terror arcade game. I finally found online somewhere that the key was to shoot the detonator out of the terrorist's hand instead of shooting him. Geez, they could've at least given some kind of clue about that, again the first time I played it was all for nothing. Then at the end they take the president or some kind of politician hostage, teasing a possible sequel. I guess that never happened though.

So no other fans of sidescrolling brawlers or boxing or wrestling games here from the old days besides me?
  12-19-2010, 04:28 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 305 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
- The old 256/386-era computer Sierra games were not bad either (Police Quest, Space Quest, King's Quest).

I was hooked on these also! Good memories.
  12-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Current games - God of War, Devil May cry, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Land of the dead, Alone in the dark.
  12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Verified Member

tvlover - i never ever beat the coin-op machines. they just gobbled up my money. was always frustrated. in the end, i played the conversions to a home computer, spectrum / atari etc, and finished games on them.

others i liked: donkey kong, pac-man, ghosts 'n' goblins, after burner and loads of others. and prince of persia and gods on the PC.

hey, there's a puzzle game from the old days that is still available to play on modern PCs. remember head over heels? well a bunch of people from retrospec have re-done it. check it out if you like those type of games.

Last edited by manthing; 12-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.
  12-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Verified Member

ok, got to admit, i loved some of the Infocom text adventures. most were just too baffling for me. could never ever think of the unusual solutions. my mind is not that warped! but completed the medium hard ones like planetfall.
  12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Verified Member

oh, what does arcade game "gauntlet" come under? loved that as well.
  12-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Verified Member

anyone care to admit being a "lounge lizard" and playing the "leisure suit larry" games?
  12-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 305 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthing View Post
anyone care to admit being a "lounge lizard" and playing the "leisure suit larry" games?
Guilty !
  12-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
How could I forget arcade games?! Frogger, Pacman, Shinobi, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons. Konami did a great job of games in the late 80s and early 90s. They really picked up where Sega and Atari started to fall apart.

Most of my emulation is for MAME.
  12-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthing View Post
ok, got to admit, i loved some of the Infocom text adventures. most were just too baffling for me. could never ever think of the unusual solutions. my mind is not that warped! but completed the medium hard ones like planetfall.
I never knew how to play those. Didn't Infocom do the Zork games? I remember getting the Zork books, those were cool. They were gamebooks, like Choose Your Own Adventure. Every time you made the right decision, you would get a point and your final score would be out of a possible 10 points.

Last edited by tvlover33; 12-22-2010 at 03:07 PM.
  12-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Verified Member

yup. Infocom did create the Zork adventures. those were way too complex / weird for me to complete. Infocom were probably the best at text based games, but those type of games were never going to survive.
  12-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Verified Member

ever played rick dangerous? great platform game. think it was originally on the atari st. there is a port of it available. go here and grab it. it is a great fun game to play.
  12-22-2010, 02:21 AM
Verified Member

1830 Railroads & Robber Barons is a good simulation. it is not a railroad simulation. rather it is a company simulation - ie you create a company, increase its profits, buy & sell stocks etc. very tough to beat at the hardest level.
  12-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Verified Member

talking of railroads... what about sid meier's railroad tycoon. nice, fun game.

also, transport tycoon was another fun simulation. there's an on-going open source version of this. grab it here.
  12-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Verified Member

do you like the command & conquer series? go here and grab some of the older ones for free!
  12-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
How could I forget arcade games?! Frogger, Pacman, Shinobi, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons. Konami did a great job of games in the late 80s and early 90s. They really picked up where Sega and Atari started to fall apart.

Most of my emulation is for MAME.
Hell yeah, a man after my own heart. Any good modded consoles with a MAME disc for it? I've only seen modded X Box's, do they do the same thing with PS2 consoles, anyone mod those so they can play emulator discs? Speaking of which, anyone playing these classic arcade discs fos PS2 like Capcom Classics or Midway Arcade Treasures? Those are great too, I plan on getting at least 1 or 2 more of those.

What's everyone's favorite sidescrollers?