Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

09-02-2005, 04:21 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 77 posts since Jun 2005
Hi,

I don't sell on ebay myself, but I still browse whats on there, and have noticed that dvd sets are at an all-time low price. Even the buy-it-now price for say the 41 disc simpsons set is only £50.00. With free postage.
Some other sets, are only £1.00 per disc.

Its never worth taking the risk, no matter how much you charge, but when a seller is making so little from the sale, why do they even bother?

Some of them have even printed on the discs, printed out dvd sleeves and put them into 4-way cases. With the added cost of postage on top, why bother?

What really gets me though, is that even at these prices, and with the ammount of effort that seller has put into the production of the disc, some idiot will still leave them bad feedback for selling a copied disc!!! It stated it on the auction page, and they simply did'nt read it.
The sets they are buying don't even exist! yet they bid and are still shocked! What were they expecting?

But I find it easier to buy sets on ebay than arange trades now. At those prices, its cheaper and deffinetly a lot quicker than any trade.

what do you think?

ku7uk

09-02-2005, 04:50 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
I personally avoid all sets that shows up on ebay, don't bother to get them regardless which shows they are.

Their no point in buying them, when you can get them from trades. They are usually crap vcd dumps or a set someone on the trading forums created. Too many scam artist and people looking to make a profit.

I recently had someone contact me for a trade, then when i mentioned he sends first as he contacted me first. His response was this

"thats fine i wont send first unless u have over 1329 positive feedbacks
on
ebay like i do.. i understand how u feel sorry to bug u" just wasted my time, because he wanted to make a profit. had a nice collection to, yet he turned round with a comment like that.

I do check ebay nearly every day, half the time i look for a retail dvd/vhs. but the auction sets with covers or printed discs are never done by them and are usually someone elses work or a picture they found on the net.

Too many liars, theiefs, transformerscds sets and profiteers on ebay. The only reason they lower the price is simple:- sell 1 set on ebay, then get you too buy their other sets at twice the price from their website.

Hook, Line and $$$$.

My last thought, avoid any sets on ebay and just trade. The reward and rare jems you get from trades are even better then what is on ebay.

Which is what i have experience since i have been trading, i get sets that appear on ebay once in a blue moon or it even exist and they run with your money.

Trades are much safer then ebay and more realible to get what you want as you are in control on what you get and not the seller.
  09-02-2005, 07:06 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 201 posts since Jun 2005
People don't ask questions and are ill informed but like to blame the seller nevertheless I guess. I think the reason why prices have come way down is partially because of too much competition. All it takes is one person selling a 10 disc set for $10 with free shipping to bring down the entire market for that particular show. I've seen it happen. What some of these sellers get out of selling a set that low is beyond me. Of course that's just a made up number but it's not too far off.
  09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Most eBay sellers are scum of the earth. Not nice people, only want your money, know nothing of the show. Most sets are barely-viewable garbage on trash media. If you want slop on junk, knock yourself out. If you want to collect to collect, go for it. However, I agree being confused on how selling discs for $1-3 can be worth your time. Lot of work for almost no money.

But CPS members tend to be folks that want to carefully compile high quality sets, and share them with one another, for the ultimate goal of enjoying high quality cartoons/shows on their tv. Some of us also trade related items, like OTR, toys, comics, etc. The day that this ceases to be the goal of the site, is the day the forum is closed.

CPS and EBAY are opposite ends of the spectrum.