Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

10-04-2005, 12:36 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 411 posts since Jun 2005
Don't know if this has ben covered, but I got an email from "paypal" that I had sent 89.95 to SPORTYGUYZ for some crap Nike shoes. Of course the scam is that if you log into paypal to dispute the charges through the link they provide in the email they steal your info and hijack the account.

Like I said this may have already been covered, but in case it has not just a heads up.
  10-04-2005, 12:45 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
My rule of thumb is NEVER click on any link provided via email, no matter how authentic it looks. Go directly to the site itself and login. Embedded links can be redirected too easily.

I have to admit, the phishers are getting more cleaver. They use to be obvious, with mistakes and sometimes poor grammer on the mock email. But I recently got one "from Ebay" that looked perfect - until you examine the embedded link - didn't go to Ebay at all.
  10-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I report e-mails like that to spoof@paypal.com.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  10-04-2005, 10:42 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 124 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to tobal2
There's another one out now that sends an e-mail from Paypal stating that a new e-mail aco**** has been added to your account.

It includes a link to Paypal that you click if the address was added in error. Of course, if you mouse-over the link it clearly goes somewhere else...

I've gotten this one twice in the past week.
  10-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I've gotten that one several times. The key is never to follow an e-mail link in anything relating to money.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.