Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

02-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
  02-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
nice.

In the game show trading world, VHS is still used just as commonly as dvd. It's interesting, because I trade in 3 different types of circuits (this one, game shows, and unsolved mysteries) and each type of circuit has its own rules and preferences. It can be alot of work remembering which circuit has which preferences.

one thing I like about VHS is that they will always play in any machine I put them in. Can't say that about dvd's yet.
  02-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
That's interesting, because back in the '80s, you couldn't say that about tapes. The tracking mechanisms for VCRs were so specific, a tape recorded in one machine may not be able to be tracked in another. Sometimes it would be brand variations, sometimes just a bum unit. In comparison, I've found DVDs to be more forgiving. I think later generation VCRs are better standardized now, but it is something to think about if you're trading with someone who has really old stuff.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Vhs to me, are more durable- Ill say that. I have dropped them, kicked them, sat on them, and they always played. As far as "physically durable" I am getting at.
However, with the tracking issues, to this day, I still have machines- and to this day still have tracking issues

My grandmother, who is 75, can't do DVD - it just doesn't work for her for many reasons, recently I copied 3 dvds to vhs- sent it to her- and yeah, they flipped flopped and rolled all over the place.

Each medium has its own benefits, but just as beta and laser disc went by by - so is vhs slowly but surely. No more vhs rental places- no more vcr's solely vcr's that is, and I haven't seen blanks, without looking very hard- for awhile.

Vhs has its place in our home- plenty that I will keep to enjoy, or keep because transfering isn't worthwhile- and to this day, I still keep a blank in my vcr in my room, for quick recording, or timed recordings.

Then again- I still have my original Disney Beta tapes- and my George Lucas collection on laser disc...
  02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
My Beta tapes are more precious than gold.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.