Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

06-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Everyone has a dad but not everyone has a father. Anyone can bring a child into this world, but it takes a true man to be a father. Fathers aren’t always perfect either, which is what makes them so special. They have their flaws just like everyone else – but they try to overcome those flaws for the sake of their children.
Movie fathers, for the most part, are exactly the same way. I’m not talking about the Al Bundy or Peter Griffin buffoon father figures that get laughs by acting un-father-like. I’m talking about the forthright, honest, dependable and yes, sometimes flawed men that have inspired us onscreen to be better fathers in real life.

Here are a few from around the web.....
What's your opinion?

-
Most unusual choice- Darth Vader (David Prowse / James Earl Jones) – Star Wars Saga

Now before you go all “fanboy” on me for putting Luke’s father on the bottom of our list just wait to see who made the top 3 and then tell me if you would put Skywalker above them. Anakin falls easily into the category of “Flawed Father.” He loves the mother of his children but ultimately kills her, hunts down his daughter and takes her into captivity, and then unknowingly cuts off the hand of his son. Way to go dad! But in the end, this father recognizes the error of his ways, turns from the dark side and sacrifices his own life to protect his children. And that’s why this master of the dark side of the force is on this list at all.
-
1. Professor Henry Jones (Sean Connery) – Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Professor Jones is another one of those types of fathers that means well and although he loves his son (Indiana Jones), he ends up ignoring him. But what he lacks in emotional nurturing he makes up for in intellectual nurturing as is evident by Indiana following right along in his father’s footsteps. For all their differences of opinion and banging of heads, the son still loves his father and vice versa – and both will do whatever it takes to protect the other. The moral here is: You don’t have to always get along with your dad to love him.
-
2. Jor El (Marlon Brando) – Superman

I know when it comes to my own children that I would sacrifice anything to keep them safe, including giving up my own life to save theirs. That’s what every good father would do in the same situation. The best example of this is Superman’s father Jor El. He gave his life to protect his son from a dying planet before it exploded – but he didn’t stop there! Jor El thought ahead and provided a new family and place of solitude for his son so that he wouldn’t ever be alone. Jor El provided for his son in death as he did in life. Jor-El sets a fine example of a father’s love.
-
3. Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) – National Lampoon’s Vacation

Just because a father jokes around and gives his kids a hard time occasionally doesn’t mean he loves them any less. Clark Griswold may be a bit on the clueless side but all he wants is to give his family the vacation they so richly deserve. Every father ultimately wants the same thing for their kids. Nothing is going to stand in his way either – not the desert nor flat tires or even an amusement park being shut down… He is going to give his family a good time come hell or high water! I may never pull a gun on a security officer just to ride a theme park rollercoaster but I’ve done plenty of things I wouldn’t normally do just to make my kids happy; besides, that old woman in the toy line last Christmas didn’t need a Tickle Me Elmo anyway…

4 Jack Butler (Michael Keaton) – Mr. Mom

Most of the time the mother is the one who stays at home while the father heads off to work each day to bring home the bacon – and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if a father decides to reverse the roles and stay home with his children, raising them and becoming close to them in the process, who are we to ridicule him for it? When Jack Butler decided to be the stay at home father while his wife went to work, he thought it would be an easy walk in the park. However, as he soon realized there is more to raising your kids during the day than just making a peanut butter sandwich and tossing around some juice boxes. In a way, Jack made a very selfless sacrifice because even in today’s politically correct world, men who stay at home are often poked fun at and thought to be less manly. I say good for him and others like him that have the courage it takes to be a Mr. Mom.
-
5 George Banks (Spencer Tracy / Steve Martin) – Father of the Bride

George Banks is the epitome of the stoic father. He’s solid, strong, the supporter of his family – and he defers to the wishes of his wife. He’s a father to a daughter who has just been engaged and has to suffer from everything that goes into the planning of a wedding. No matter what, he’s there for his daughter, ready to support her no matter what she decides. In the film he’s put through the wringer both emotionally and financially, but he’s always steady no matter what, and that puts him on our list.

5 Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) – To Kill a Mockingbird

Gregory Peck’s performance in the film adaptation of Harper Lee’s novel is so flawless that his image has become inseparable from the classic literary character. As a man who takes the moral high ground even when it leaves him largely outnumbered, Atticus was a role model to his children and bestowed lessons of equality, courage, and empathy during the most critical points in their development. More importantly, he was able to do it while still encouraging their individuality and giving them the freedom to make up their own minds. As a result he remains an endearing and admirable figure to audiences and readers alike.