Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-21-2005, 03:59 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Has anyone looked at this yet? It looks pretty dang cool to me. I'm actually thinking about purchasing a video game system..... (note: I haven't bought a new game system since I purchased my Sega Master system and Original Nintendo). I purchased my Sony Playstation from a friend last year and that was for my son. It was modded, came with like 20 games and two controllers and I got it for $35. So if you want to count that.....
  11-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I had a Pong system. Really liked it.
I had an Atari 2600. Liked it some.
I had a Sega Master System. Really liked it.
I had a Nintendo. Loved it, never got bored.
I had a Super Nintendo. Really loved it, never got tired of it.
I had a Playstation. Alright.
I still have all of mystems, they all still work great.

I now have an XBOX. It's alright.
I find myself mostly using the XBOX to play NES and SNES and N64 games, through emulators and ROMs. I only really like 1 XBOX game, the ESPN 2K5 Baseball game. The other XBOX games I like are compilations and collections of old games (Sonic, Megaman, Street Fighters, Atati, etc).

I rarely play video games. Not really been a game player since the early 1990s. I hate playing games on the computer unless it's something quick, like a webgame or cards.

If you didn't like the Playstation, I'd be surprised if you liked new video games.

11-21-2005, 12:41 PM

Verified Member

One of my favorite games for the Playstation was NHL Hockey. That was a cool game. I remember my friend and I rented the PS1 from Blockbuster way back when, and played it all night. Ah, the good ol' days. The new nintendo is backwards compatible supposedly and will be able to play every game nintendo has ever made. That is what they are saying at least.
  11-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 224 posts since Jun 2005
Nintendo's console is going to be the cheapeast, and the controller is innovative too. Have you seen it? It's technically not even a controller, but a joystick and keys. Nintendo's Backward Compatibility is that you will be able to BUY the old Nintendo Games, such as the entire SNES collection or so.
  11-21-2005, 04:46 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
Lack of backward compatability is the main reason I will not own an Xbox 360. Dumb-*** Microsoft thought it wasnt worth it to make the thing backward-compatible. That is the reason I will probably buy a PS3.
  11-21-2005, 07:35 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 234 posts since Jun 2005
according to the interview i heard, x-box 360 is fully backwards compatible. that was on the Rick Dees weekely top 40 an interview with a guy from Microsoft.
  11-21-2005, 10:01 PM

I read an article that said it was NOT fully backward-compatible but would work with most games. MOST games isnt enough in my book.
  11-22-2005, 12:53 AM

Verified Member

Yeah, I know you will have to buy them, but it is still cool. The pictures of the New Nintendo system make me want it more. Motion controlled joysticks sounds really neat.
  11-22-2005, 06:38 AM

It may not be the old NES games, not ROMs, but rather ports of old games. That's the thing that I was watching carefully. Ports suck.
  11-22-2005, 05:52 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 224 posts since Jun 2005
Xbox 360 is MOSTLY, 90 percent backwards compatible, IF AND ONLY IF you buy the PREMIUM edition, which is the one with a hard drive. PlayStation 2 is the same way, there is about 40 games unplayable on it from the PS1 game selection.
  11-22-2005, 11:06 PM

That may be true, AOA, but 90% of a library of 1000s of games is a lot more than 90% of 100s of games. I can deal with 40 out of the vast library the PS1 had, but not out of the small library the Xbox has.
  11-23-2005, 04:25 AM

I don't think any system has thousands of games. Nintendo was probably the most game-filled system, and it was either just under or just over 1,000 games. Most systems would do well to even get 500 games. Maybe double the number if you cound all games worldwide, including non-English titles.