Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

05-26-2006, 03:47 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
[u]Guys, if you haven't heard about what is going on in Congress, I strongly suggest you check out the websites below and decide for yourselves. Hopefully, you will sign the petition and keep an eye out for what is going on.</u>

A bipartisan majority on the House Judiciary Committee yesterday passed the "Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act" -- a good bill that would use antitrust law to protect Network Neutrality. Special thanks to those of you who called the key members who cast the deciding votes.

The question before us is simple: Will the Internet remain in the hands of users and innovators? Or will a handful of telephone and cable companies determine which Web sites you see and which you don't? Yesterday's vote -- a milestone for our movement -- would have been unthinkable just three weeks ago. But we've shown once again that organized people can defeat powerful corporations.

Our opponents spent untold millions on high-priced lobbyists, slick ad campaigns and fake grassroots groups. But the voices of hundreds of thousands of citizens -- your voices -- made the difference.

The SavetheInternet.com Coalition led by Free Press now boasts nearly 700 groups that span the political spectrum, including MoveOn.org, the Christian Coalition, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Gun Owners of America, Consumers Union, and the American Library Association. Thousands of blogs have taken up our cause. Yesterday, the coalition's petition drive surpassed 750,000 signatures.

Our top priority is increasing the number of people who know about this threat to Internet freedom.

One thing you can do right now: Get five friends to join the fight

The struggle in Congress isn't over. The full House will take up the bipartisan Judiciary bill (H.R. 5417) -- as well as the massive rewrite of the Telecom Act -- after they return in June. The Senate is also considering major legislation that currently fails to protect Net Neutrality, though a bipartisan group of Senators are lining up behind the excellent Snowe-Dorgan bill (S. 2917).

Our work is not done. But momentum is on our side.

We couldn't have done it without you.

Onward,

Josh Silver
Executive Director
Free Press
www.freepress.net

You can do more:

1. If you haven't done so already, sign the http://action.freepress.net/campaign/savethenet and send a message to Congress.

2. Check out the latest news on the http://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/

3. Learn the facts. Read our new report: Why Consumers Demand Internet Freedom:http://www.freepress.net/docs/nn_fac...tion_final.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
Tell-a-friend!

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Free Press.
  05-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I've never heard about this. Usually important issues appear here:
http://action.eff.org/site/PageServe...e=ADV_homepage

05-26-2006, 04:46 AM

It has been going for about a year. It was started with the advent of the internet starting to be a major source for news, television, radio, music. I listen to most of my radio shows (O'Reilly-LOL) over the internet now days.

The corporations have actually been thinking about have several tiers of internet use. The driving force greed, censorship, ect!

http://savetheinternet.com/

For more facts check out:http://www.freepress.net/docs/nn_fac...tion_final.pdf

PS-What do you expect LS didn't you know Al Gore invented the internet? I can't believe that I actually agree with moveon.org and a lot of the other left and right-wing hacks sites! I guess if you have to take the bad with the good on this one!
  05-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
This is beyond important, it's HUGE.The implications from this could mean no cps among other things.It's tailor-made to dictate censorship, massive profits for the conglomerates in the form of raising the price to $80-100 per month for a sanitized internet.This is yet another HUGE assault on our freedom of speech essentially.They have a plan for "Internet 2" do some research on it.There is a chance we may not be able to access our favorite sites in the near future.
  05-26-2006, 02:28 PM

Well, I would suggest signing the petition.
  05-26-2006, 03:45 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
Already did weeks back.Hopefully the three representatives mine went to pays attention.This is very important to me as the internet has been the catalyst for many things in my life over the past 8-10 years.
  05-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Yeah, dont get him started

( J/k )

05-26-2006, 05:46 PM

I just hope people are signing the petition and passing it on (copy & paste in an email) to their friends. I also sent letters via snail mail to my idiot represenataives also. Democrats/Republicans I just love to hate them both!