Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Would like any and all input, I have run my own business before in MD so its not like I am foreign to tax id's and the workings of a company.

It would be like a comic book store but for wrestling stuff, like wrestling toys (as well as other toylines I and my wife like), replica belts, videos, etc. Have monitors on the wall showing promotions like TNA, Ring of Honor, and indie feds. Like I said like a comic book shop but without the comics lol

I did a simple google search over the years and even today and besides places like ringside collectibles all other wrestling merchandise stores seem to be shady, the websites are horrid looking like they were made by 12 year olds and are really niche in their market. Its like they all are in bed with WWE or they are geared towards a specific promotion.

What do you think? I mean there is nothing like it that I have ever been to and I know there is money in selling wrestling merchandise. I see it when I go to wrestling events and when I go to the stores, there is just not enough product selection and knowledgeable people.

Since I am in Iowa I mean where would the competition be?

Probably a stupid dream nonetheless but I just have a gut feeling it could work, I have worked for 12 years and seemed to never be happy working for someone else. I have a $68,000 degree hanging on my wall that does do crap for me and being unemployed these last 3 months shows me just how pathetic the job market is...I dont want to be a drone just doing what everyone else does.
  07-21-2006, 05:48 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 283 posts since Jun 2005
Go for it Mark. save one corner for toys from the 80s
smurfs
transformers
thundercats
etc
and advertice Wrestling and Toys 80's
I think there is a big market for toys and games from the 80s.
  07-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
if you choose to do this, i wish you nothing but good luck.

Lmao...we both have that $68,000 degree hanging on the wall. Except mine has been collecting more dust than yours.
  07-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
It would work! You know there's a market for it. Just hit crazymax.org lol That site is full of ol timey wrestling fans like us. from various states & countries. Since you have no competition in your area. You could have a gold mine there. If there wasn't a market at all for it. You think Vince would have bought ECW & THE WCCW archieves ? Hell no. He knew people are hungry for it. He saw an open door and cashed in on it, literally :P

I say.... Do it ! You could also do online merchandising as well. Later on. Print catalogs so people could do mail orders too. For those without credit cards & checking accounts lol.

It could even exspand as " The one stop Shop for your wraslin needs. " ( Cheap pop lol )

Hell my neighbor's son spends a crap load of mula on the line. It's all junk.

What they paid 20.00 for a belt replica toy belt. I wouldnt have given 2.00 dollars for lol

Of course A WWE product lol You know being a mod of he-man.org ( cheap pop no.2 ) As well as
mod here. There is definitely a market for toons & toys from the 80 's & up.

" JILL & Mark's One Stop shop " I ll do T -shirt ideas for you lol

As much Muta you have. You could set up an entire Section dedicated to

" MUTA'S PATH O' Destruction" . Classic Toons & Toys " FlashBacks & Memoribilla " .

The ideas are limitless. Look at all those ideas from just One.. Good Brain Fart.

You squeeze out a good one. The rest is sure to follow ! Since you 're not just all talk.

Make it Happen Mark . Idea No. 5 Jill is the My Little Pony collector.

One area " The Pony Retreat " All MY Little pony stuff...

" JILL & MARK'S ONE STOP SHOP"

on the back

The only comic shop that Rocks! WOOOOOOOO!
  07-22-2006, 05:02 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
I've wanted to get my own business off the ground for awhile now.Unfortunately due to my financial situation and debts,I'm currently unable to do so.Definitely go for it if you can, the cubicle automaton syndrom isn't the way for me either.I myself can't stand the thought of being a company man, or having to kiss *** to get any type of promotion(s).I also can't stand the 9-5 routine, I prefer to be with my family when all possible.Plus the fact of busting your arse to make others money when you could use your intuition and creativity to make your and yours money, appeals to me more.Anywho good luck with it if you decide to pursue that avenue!
  07-22-2006, 05:53 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
What about starting an online business, and then if it grows enough, make it into a full brick and mortar store? With enough business, it could even turn into several stores.

Just look at Lone Star Comics and Mile High Comics.

07-22-2006, 08:23 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,139 posts since Jun 2005
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BUSINESS ,.. HOWEVER IF ANYONE CAN MAKE SOMETHING OF ANYTHING WOULD BE YOU BIG GUY .

THE ONLY BUSINESS I EXCELLED AT WAS NOT LEGAL ,.. LOL,.. REALLY .
  07-22-2006, 08:45 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 224 posts since Jun 2005
I think being specific into the Wrestling wouldn't be a great idea, but having it as where you can find great stuff for wrestling specifically. On the other hand, you should definitely be diverse in comics, but I'm sure thsi was all thought out already. I hope it goes well, and I too think starting one online is much easier than renting a place (or actually, buying a place isn't too bad either).
  07-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Gramma of CPS

Managers... sheese :P

There is a massive market for wrestling in every aspect. You got find what people want. Which he knows. A good Distributor . A knowledge of the business. PLus No competition. Equal MO MOney mo Money lmao!

I m certain mark will carry Wrestling PS2 Games too AOA ROTFLMAO!

Wreslting is universal . Mark will have global domination ROTFLMAO! ( Narf)

07-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
As far as the wrestling niche, its a 50/50 gamble. If you are a diehard fan like me it would be a great place to visit. NWA Legend Harley Race is in the area and I am sure would be able to endorse for a fee, the WWF always sells out locally when it comes to Ames and Des Moines so the fan base is there. Right now you can only get a selection of toys and videos at Walmart and Best Buy and then its just a small selection.

If I added UFC that opens up another avenue as well. Like I said its a 50/50 gamble.

But the overall plan if I go foward was going to be as follows:

-Year 1-2 e-commerce/online store. Selling mostly Wrestling DVD's from different promotions, the JAKKS Toyline and Exclusives, TNA Toyline, and all older toys like the Hasbro and LJN WWF figures which go for $$$. Then expand into other lines and certain comics/graphic novels/card games, etc to diversify.

-Year 2-5 possibly open up a retail location. In Ames you can rent a nice location for about $5 a sq/ft and the local comic store chain in Iowa is "Mayhem Comics". It would more be like an office with a storefront then an actual full blown store just given I dont see floods of customers in Ames/Iowa.

As far as making money the way I look at it like this, working I have maybe $100-200 extra a month after bills and worked my butt off doing things I hate. Running my own store even if I break even and have $100 extra would still be better then working for nothing.

Any other tips/hints for e-commerce or appealing to clients would be appreciated. I figure I will start the process in a few months since my unemployment still has a way to go and I might as well milk it for as long as its valid, should I get a job during that time it will only help me to save to start the business up anyway.

I dont have any grand illusions of opening a storefront in 1 year and having everything working in my favor, from my old company I used to run in MD it takes a while to get on your feet.

Thanks for the support!
  07-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Gramma of CPS

You open your store. That means there will be a positions to fill rrrrrrrrrrrright? LOL

There you go GR. Go work for mark :P
  07-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, GO FOR IT. if you know there is a fan base in your area, then give it the ole college try. i would second the motion for the online area. you could have a store on ebay very easily and you can promote thru the various forums etc that would allow it. if there is a local weekly flea market etc, you might want to start with a booth there. there are areas of tennessee that have weekly indoor flea markets that are like weekly malls with tons of traffic and low rental prices. you might also want to consider doing a temp store or cart in a mall for the Christmas season. you might also consider seeing about joining forces with a comic business that might want to add to their business. they may have customer traffic wanting wrestling stuff and not have experience with it. just my 2 cents. thanks
  07-23-2006, 12:10 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,139 posts since Jun 2005
I CAN SLAM CP ON A MAT AS A PROMO FOR YOUR STORE ,.. OR SLAP ON THE OLD CAMEL CLUTCH ON HER .

LMK MARK ,.. I'LL DO THAT FOR FREE ...LOL
  07-23-2006, 01:19 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
"OR SLAP ON THE OLD CAMEL CLUTCH ON HER ."

There's so many jokes to go with that right there but I'm staying far, far away lol!

07-23-2006, 04:00 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 571 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to GreenRanger1
HAHA CP!

I say if its something you want to do, then go for it. I definately think a good internet site would make it, you may not get rich off of it, but I do think it has a market.
  07-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Gramma of CPS

SHUT UP WeeVIL LMAO!