Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

08-18-2006, 05:54 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, i know this lady that has several handbills or small programs given out at theatres during the 20s to the 40s. i was wondering if anyone here knows any info about the values of these or where i might look to determine a value. for example, one is a small handbill (6 x 9) for the movie wings, which was the only silent movie to win an oscar. sidenote: a local theatre will have a showing sunday afternoon with the theatre's organ being played just like it was originally shown. i'm plannining on going and trying to get the kids interested in going. another handbill is a small octagon shaped one for the film hottentot. if you have any info or advice, please pm or email me or post here. your assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks
  08-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I would think some of these things would be worth quite a lot to the right collector, even if they are later reproductions. You probably need to find an antique store that deals in ephemera, which is what I understand antique paper items are called. Possibly an antiquarian bookstore could point you in the right direction.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  08-18-2006, 02:22 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, thanks for the info. i know from personally examining them that they are not reproductions. thanks
  08-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I would call some high school and college theatre teachers for leads on this. And I have a feeling there are stores specializing in these sorts of things. Something online and/or a brick-and-mortar boutique.

08-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
BY us there is a store, called Four seasons- and they sell old theatrical stuff.
I doubt you live by me, but in the store Stooge, some sell as low as 2;00 as just fan stuff, and others- for more known people go for much higher.
They have all sorts of stuff.

I also did a peek on Ebay and saw some as low as .99 cents
and some as high as 105.00
  08-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
My wife has bought a few of these from ebay because she's a big Christopher Walken fan. I think she paid around $20.00 for each one.

Just do a little ebay research. Check the completed items to see what they went for.