Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

01-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
Ok I am getting a new DVD recorder to replace my Panasonic. The one I am getting can also record to DVD-R DL discs. Does anyone know the absolute cheapest discs that are good to use?? The recorder I am getting is this one: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4098735

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  01-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Cheapest -and- good to use? Does not exist. Verbatim or nothing. Buy them on sale. For example, this week at Best Buy is a 20-pack for $25.

If you're buying a new recorder, I urge you to consider the Toshiba XS35 machine. Much better than the Pioneer 640 you're looking at. Toshiba also has a 160GB drive, but can do high quality at anything from 1-4 hours long. It even has some filters for VHS transfer work. And the Toshiba is only $350 at EletronicsExpress.com (or at the local stores in Tennessee).

01-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

Cheapest -and- good to use? Does not exist. Verbatim or nothing. Buy them on sale. For example, this week at Best Buy is a 20-pack for $25.

If you're buying a new recorder, I urge you to consider the Toshiba XS35 machine. Much better than the Pioneer 640 you're looking at. Toshiba also has a 160GB drive, but can do high quality at anything from 1-4 hours long. It even has some filters for VHS transfer work. And the Toshiba is only $350 at EletronicsExpress.com (or at the local stores in Tennessee).

I ordered the pioneer last night but plan to order a third recorder in July and I will order the Toshiba then. The DL Media you mentioned at Best Buy is +R the pioneer uses -R.

Brent

01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
I'm thinking about getting the following from WALFART for a $100.00-RCA Up-conversion DVD Recorder w/ HDMI, DRC8052NC.I'VE HAD SUCH GOOD LUCK WITH THE RCA VCR/DVD recorder 8300N that Tekken talked me in to getting. You can edit or hide commercials with it and watch it on any DVD player, plus its picture is as good as the JVC piece of trouble I have.
  01-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
You might want to consider the Polaroid 2001G, if you can find one. Very popular, sold out in many Walmarts and online. I got myself one about two weeks ago. It's only $220 and sports an LSI chipset. Looks decent (JVC and Toshiba are still better choices).
  01-25-2007, 12:04 PM

Verified Member

Well it arrived today. And it took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to edit something properly once I transfered it from my Panasonic. One thing I noticed right away was a better picture quality much more brighter and less pixalation and better sound. And that was just watching what was on TV Now I just need to try transfering to DVD And according to the manual it supports recording onto DVD+R DL also

Brent

01-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
So you have to change your signature now lol
  01-26-2007, 02:49 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cp32

So you have to change your signature now lol
Nopr once I get everything transfered to the Pioneer and make sure its edited properly lol. Im still keeping the stuff on the panasonic until I can edit it perfectly Then I am deleting and reformatting my HDD. Then sometime next week I am taking it in and getting it fixed again and itll then be my backup for storage. And I will bring it out into the living room and hook it up to the pioneer for editing to discs

But I have a three year warrenty on the Panasonic so I can still get some good life out of it. And like I said the footage recorded on the panasonic and transfered to the Pioneer then recorded to a DVD looks BETTER than the original recorded footage on the hdd of the panasonic.

Plus the Panasonic must buffer the sound on my tv or something as since I hooked up the Pioneer my speakers seem to be louder.

So the sig stays due to all the heads I have had and will still have with the Panasonic. Eventually I will have a DVD recorder in every room.

Brent