Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-15-2006, 10:03 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
The PS3 is being released on friday 17th November and the Wii getting released on Sunday the 19th in the USA.

So i am wondering with two big consoles being released within a couple of days of each other, which one are going to get and why?
  11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Wii, because I am a diehard Nintendo fan and its just a better console for me price wise and for what I do (play games)

I gave my PS2 to my brother because I had not played it in 2 years so I am not going to spend $600-1000 if I did not even play the console that came before it

Maybe when the PS3 is in year 3-4 and it drops but right now it does not interest me at all.
  11-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I might take a look at the Wii later this year or sometime next year. I don't really have money for anything non-essential right now. It all depends on what kind of games they have. If it's more of the same old 3D new-age crap, I'll pass. If it has something 'retro' (2D side-scroller) like Mario DS was, I'll be there.

I have less than zero interest in the PS3. I had a PS1 years after it came out, for about $100 and then I copied tons of games that I really never played. I only got a PS2 in January 2006, and I own 5-6 games for it, most all bargain bin things I grabbed for $3-10 range. It's not hacked. The PS3 Blu-Ray drive is not a selling point for me, not at all.

Not much of a game player.

11-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
I want a Wii and I could care less about a PS3. Not a big gamer, but I think the Wii looks like a lot of fun with the controls. Something I could see my wife and son playing as well. It's a throwback to older machines, which isn't a bad thing.

I remember getting a NES when I was very young (and an Intellevision before that). I don't think younger kids could even hold the control for an X-Box 360, they're so huge. So hats off to Nintendo for doing something completely different.
  11-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
the wii control i really dislike though. i was thinking about it but i cant stand usinga tv remote to play games.
  11-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Verified Member

Have you tried it yet? I am not trying to start anything but I have heard other people say it works great after they tried it, so I really think it may be one of those things you have to do to see for yourself.

I am baffled on how it works for a game like Metroid or even Mario, so I will no doubt need time to adjust LOL

I will be getting mine in Jan.
  11-15-2006, 11:56 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
Well its good to know that you guys are going for the Wii, pity i don't live in the USA as i would buy one. Got to wait untill Dec the 8th for mine, which i have already Pre-ordered.

Like you mark i am big time Nintendo fan, i do own a PS2 but i only got that for the devil may cry games. The Wii is my No.1 console to get especially with the virtual console and the new zelda game.

With the controller, i think it is defiently a good move and looks easy to play with as well as fun.

I've seen some adverts for it, including the one for Marvel ultimate alliance (2nd game i want)

check this site for the trailers- http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage...=2663#trailers

With the PS3 i am going to wait untill the price goes way down, its way to expensive. Both the xbox & xbox360 is rubbish, chunky controler and the games are boring.
  11-16-2006, 12:46 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 87 posts since Jun 2006
Definitely the Wii for me. I'm enjoying next-gen gaming right now with the 360. next-gen gameplay is definitely what the Wii offers but since I didn't preorder, I doubt i'd land a system come launch day.

I'll wait.
  11-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ninjastriker

the xbox [sic] is rubbish, chunky controler and the games are boring.
Well, hold on now. The XBOX could be hacked AND modified into the computer it really is. The XBOX makes for a great media center computer, as well as an emulation station. I play N64 and NES games on it all the time. Also great for XVID files or even JPEG slideshows.
  11-16-2006, 02:53 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, i'm not a gamer, but if i were going to get a game system, i think i would get the Wii. i think i would like the remote control play of it. seems like you would be more involved in the game. my opinion. thanks stoogedog
  11-16-2006, 03:09 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Wii! I want to get one, I want one and just in case nobdody heard me, I want one! Seriously, though, I am a Nintendo Fan as well, and if I do buy a gaming console, it will be the Wii.
  11-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Marvel Ultimate Alliance is worth the price of an X-Box (or XBox 360, PS2, Wii) alone. That game is so, so, so much fun and full of cool Marvel villains and heroes.
  11-16-2006, 07:34 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
PS3 without a doubt.Although I'll wait a year or two before getting one.I'm not paying $600 for a console system with the limited amount of time I have to play games.I have absolutely not a drop of interest in anything Nintendo does these days.I still love the NES/SNES systems, but I got older and the company still made games for children.I just can't dig super monkey ball, and all the other kiddie crap NES puts out these days.Although I'm sure the quality is there,always has been, just not my bag at my age, nor does it peak my interest in the least.
  11-16-2006, 07:53 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
I got a ps3 from japan yesterday. It's pretty sweet.

j/k anyways, I'ma wait for ps3 to get hacked, then i'll get one
(depending how the backwards compatability goes)
  11-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Verified Member

Yeah the hack thing is one reason it will probably be 2-3 years before I get a PS3

How can someone not love Super Monkey Ball, my wife and I are addicted to those games LOL

Its funny that LS mentioned the Xbox "other" features (basically using it as a PC), I bought it when it was released but I think outside my infatuation with KOTR 1 and Halo 1 I have never used it till I figured out how to softmod it, now I use it everyday to watch downloads of shows I think I may want to start watching on a normal basis or I have missed an ep to. Its amazing how nice it is to not have to waste time recording, editing or burning a DVD just to see a 20-25min ep using XBMC.
  11-16-2006, 10:19 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
Hey I wasn't taking swings mark,lol.That's part of the reason I don't want one, last Nintendo system I owned I played Mario Kart so much my freaking fingers hurt lol.My wife gets me to play those on rom disks occasionally as well.I was just saying that I prefer the library of games on my ps2, and most likely ps3.I did however LOVE Eternal Darkness on Gamecube.One of the best horror games ever.
  11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Verified Member

Yeah I was kinda pissed when Eternal Darkness 2 was put on hold when they went to work for Microsoft for the game Too Human (I need the backstory of the yellow power ha ha ha!)

As an owner of all 3 (Gamecube, Xbox, PS2) each one has its niche, last time I modded my PS2 with the 1st chip and regretted it because had I waited a year I would just able to insert games instead of doing a gameshark swap...so that is probably my biggest hurdle besides price for the PS3.

My only concern is that Nintendo gets more games out in a timely manner for Wii, I hate waiting forever for games on the Gamecube. They were always worth the wait but it seemed like it takes them an eternity to pump something out.
  11-17-2006, 05:41 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Over here...they have lined up for 4 days to buy the psx 3
the store lets them in each day and they wait- as the store underassumed how many would wnat it.

So these dedicated fans have been sleeping on the concrete for days trying to get this -
and last night, someone MUGGED the playsation 3 line with a gun.

Took their money and wallets.

People SUCK

I want the playstation 3...but looks like I am gonna have to wait..
  11-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
daaamn thata good idea for muggers. lol its wrong on many levels. but thats a good idea. dunno how they got away with it with all those people there.
  11-17-2006, 06:44 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 87 posts since Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to Keano Send a message via MSN to Keano
With a gun most people would give stuff up I wold think. If it was me I would not have had the cash on me. Either my card or got someone to drop it off for me just before opening. It is good thinking on the muggers behalf but awful at the same time. I would love a PS3 but the tag of £425 is a bit off putting to be honest.